Assistant Quantity SurveyorRef MAX8939 Consultant Steve Thomas Region South East England Location Dorset Salary to GBP32,000 Salary Band Up to £59,999 TypePermanent Job Posted 15/05/2020 Status Live
An Assistant Quantity Surveyor is needed for a Dorset-based based role, working on a variety of international construction and development projects.
The role is office-based in Dorset, however projects will be located in a number of countries in Africa, including Zimbabwe, Zambia, Ivory Coast and Ghana.
The role will be UK-based in Dorset, to assist the Commercial Manager in all aspects of planning, delivering and managing the commercial functions and claims on a range of interesting construction and development projects.
An Assistant Quantity Surveyor / Assistant QS is needed to support the project Quantity Surveyor and Commercial Manager and work closely with both the Purchasing and Logistics Team in Dorset and stay in close communication with the In-country Construction Delivery Team in Africa.
The Assistant Quantity Surveyor based in the office in Dorset will report directly to the Project QS and the Commercial Manager and will provide support, advice and report on all commercial and financial aspects of project(s) and contract(s) for multiple locations across Africa.
The Assistant Quantity Surveyor will be flexible but meticulous in their approach and be confident in working independently, often with very little information and with Architects conceptual drawings in order to create budgets for various projects.
The role includes offering support to the Country and Operations Manager to allow projects to be safely delivered on time, to budget and to achieve the highest levels of client satisfaction and enable the Company objectives to be achieved.
The Assistant QS shall provide cost information required to deliver successful cost estimates, commercial management and claims management for new and ongoing live projects within the health and primary infrastructure sectors.
The Assistant Quantity Surveyor will be part of the overall construction delivery team led by the Director of Construction, who will be based out of another UK office.
The client wishes to identify suitable candidates as soon as possible.
The successful candidate should be able to accept the post immediately or begin working their notice as soon as possible once terms are agreed.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview with the Commercial Manager at the client's offices in Dorset.
Responsibilities and Duties
Based in Dorset, it is envisaged that the role shall include the following tasks but that these will be further developed to meet both the business and project needs, as required:
- Assist the project QS and Commercial Manager in all aspects of planning, delivering and managing the commercial functions of projects
- Assist in providing cost estimates and plans for various new opportunities in line with outline specifications
- Assist with bills of quantities and activity schedules for payment purposes
- Assist in the preparation of tender and contract documents, including Bill of Quantities and schedules in conjunction with the Commercial Manager
- Review cost estimates with the Project QS and Commercial Manager before they are submitted
- Analyse and verify cost estimates provided by sub-contractors and identify any anomalies for reconciliation
- Determine the scope of work and contents of project estimates by preparing a list of bid quantities and associated items
- Source and provide accurate pricing information for materials, labour, plant and equipment etc.
- Assist with obtaining quotations and reviewing, analysing and recommending subcontractors and vendors
- Produce and send enquiries to subcontractors inviting them to tender and engagement with supply chain
- Produce and process formal subcontract documents and certify interim and final payments and final subcontract accounts
- Handle claims issues relating to extension of time and the critical path relating to the project construction schedule
- Produce cash flow forecasts for internal and client purposes
- Monitor and control income and expenditure on contracts e.g. interim/final applications for payment/final accounts etc. liaising where necessary with the relevant people
- Produce relevant monthly reports for the Commercial Manager e.g. cost and value comparisons, turnover forecasts etc. ensuring information is complete and accurate
Desired Skills and Experience
The successful candidate is likely to meet all the following criteria:
- Have 2 - 5 years’ experience or equivalent as an Assistant QS or Quantity Surveyor on projects with duties similar to those above
- Be able to demonstrate a detailed working knowledge of quantity surveying, estimating and all forms of costing documentation and systems
- Be able to interpret complex and sensitive information and provided confidentiality within the working environment
- Exceptional relationship building skills, self-motivated, problem solver and proactive commercial and financial awareness and solid understanding of the construction and measurement processes
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills, both oral & written negotiation skills and ability to apply those skills internally, externally and with our supply chain
- Ability to use a range of IT packages including Microsoft Office and bespoke packages
- Ability to assess, review and make recommendation on monthly payment certificates for subcontractors
- Be able to call for, receive, evaluate and negotiate sub-contractors offers/quotations
- Ability to challenge resources and costs both internally and externally with subcontractors and/or consultants
- Have an eye for quality and attention to detail both from a design and cost perspective
- Must be able to work in a busy office and show good time management skills
- Enjoy working as part of a team in order to achieve common goals and company objectives
- Have experience and be comfortable working with people/partners/stakeholders across all levels
- Must be prepared to work to tight deadlines (tender submissions / monthly commercial calendar)
- Be able to read, write and speak English fluently
The successful candidate is likely to meet all the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Quantity Surveying or similar related qualifications is desirable
- Be open and adaptable to new ways of learning and practice applying this within your role
- Positive attitude always and the ability to integrate and play an active part within the Construction team and the ability to prioritise to meet deadlines
- Keen to pursue personal development needs and maintain up-to-date industry knowledge
- Possess a good sense of humour and willingness to engage with people from other cultures
- Strive to be a valued and trusted member of the team
Employing Company Overview and Profile
This Maxim client employer is a private company with a number of UK offices including the office in Dorset where this role is based.
The company is a Design & Build contractor and developer that is focused on delivering infrastructure and financial solutions into a number of countries in Sub – Saharan Africa.
Operating as a specialist provider within the National Infrastructure Marketplace, they provide Turnkey and construction-based expertise in the delivery of large-scale international projects.
These can include hospitals, energy projects and a variety of other construction related projects.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
- Salary: Up to £32,000 per annum depending on experience
- Holidays - 20 days, plus bank holidays
- 3-month probationary period
- Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm office Hours with reasonable additional hours as required
- Travel and reasonable out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed
- Laptop and mobile
- The place of employment is Dorset, UK.
Recommend this job to a friend
and get a £500-£1000 cash reward for successful matches.Recommend a friend