Assistant Quantity Surveyor ProcurementRef MAX8910 Consultant Steve Thomas Region Midlands and East Anglia Location Market Harborough, Leicestershire Salary to £32k Salary Band Up to £59,999 TypePermanent Job Posted 16/03/2020 Status Active: Maxim working on candidate shortlist
An Assistant Quantity Surveyor, Assistant QS is needed for a QS job role based in Market Harborough, Leicestershire but to work on a variety of exciting international construction and development projects.
You will assist the Project QS and the Commercial Manager in all aspects of planning, delivering and managing the commercial functions on a range of construction and development projects.
This Assistant Quantity Surveyor role will have a procurement focus requiring you to use your commercial acumen to help with procurement and purchasing/ordering.
An English-speaking Assistant Quantity Surveyor with procurement and buying experience is needed to support the Project QS and the Commercial Manager and work closely with both the Purchasing and Logistics Team in Market Harborough, Leicestershire and the In-country Construction Delivery Team across Africa.
The role will be based in Market Harborough, Leicestershire and the project sites will be in countries such as Zimbabwe, Zambia, Ivory Coast and Ghana.
The Assistant Quantity Surveyor based in the Market Harborough office in Leicestershire will assist the Project QS and the Commercial Manager and will provide support and advice and report on all commercial and financial aspects of project(s) and contract(s).
The Assistant QS will be flexible but meticulous in their approach and be confident in working independently, often with very little information and with Architects conceptual drawings in order to create budgets for various projects.
The role includes offering support to the Project QS and Country and Operations Manager to allow projects to be safely delivered on time, to budget and to achieve the highest levels of client satisfaction and enable the Company objectives to be achieved.
The key responsibility for the AQS role will be providing commercial acumen to help procurement and purchasing, especially ordering and buying and Bills of Quantities of materials.
The Assistant Quantity Surveyor will communicate and co-ordinate with Business Development and the wider Construction teams and provide all necessary cost information required to deliver successful cost estimates for new international opportunities within the health and primary infrastructure sectors.
The Assistant Quantity Surveyor will be part of the overall construction delivery team lead by the Director of Construction based out of another UK office.
- The client wishes to identify suitable candidates as soon as possible.
- The successful candidate should be able to accept the post immediately or begin working their notice as soon as possible once terms are agreed.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview with the Commercial Manager at the client's offices in Market Harborough, Leicestershire.
Responsibilities and Duties
Based in Market Harborough in Leicestershire, it is envisaged that the role of Assistant Quantity Surveyor shall include the following tasks but that these will be further developed to meet both the business and project needs, as required:
- Assist the Project QS and the Commercial Manager in all aspects of planning, delivering and managing the commercial functions both in the UK and across overseas projects
- Assist in providing cost estimates and plans for various new opportunities in line with outline specifications
- Assist with purchasing and produce Bills of Quantities
- Prepare tender and contract documents, including Bill of Quantities and schedules in conjunction with the Project QS & Commercial Manager
- Review all cost estimates with the Project QS and Commercial Manager before they are submitted
- Determine the scope of work and contents of project estimates by preparing a list of bid quantities and associated items
- Develop a robust cost estimation process with the commercial team
- Source and provide accurate pricing information for materials, labour, plant and equipment etc.
- Obtain quotations and be responsible for reviewing, analysing and recommending subcontractors and vendors with the Commercial Manager
- Produce and send enquiries to subcontractors inviting them to tender and engagement with supply chain
- Receive and analyse subcontractor/supplier quotations and costs, liaising with P&L regarding price, proven history, availability etc.
- Produce relevant monthly reports for the Commercial Manager e.g. cost and value comparisons, turnover forecasts etc. ensuring information is complete and accurate
- Liaise and co-ordinate all commercial activities and actions with the in-country QS Consultant
Desired Skills and Experience
The successful candidate is likely to meet most of the following criteria:
- Have up to 5 years’ experience initially as an Assistant Quantity Surveyor with experience of similar duties as above with a focus on buying , procurement, purchasing and estimating
- Be able to demonstrate a detailed working knowledge of quantity surveying, estimating and all forms of costing documentation and systems
- Be able to call for, receive, evaluate and negotiate sub-contractors offers/quotations.
- Ability to challenge resources and costs both internally and externally with subcontractors and/or consultants
- Provide support for the Commercial Manager in terms of data input etc.
- Have an eye for quality and attention to detail both from a design and cost perspective
- Must be able to work in a busy office and show good time management skills
- Enjoy working as part of a team in order to achieve common goals and company objectives
- Have experience and be comfortable working with people/partners/stakeholders across all levels
- Must be prepared to work to tight deadlines (tender submissions / monthly commercial calendar)
- Exceptional relationship building skills, self-motivated, problem solver and proactive commercial and financial awareness and solid understanding of the construction and measurement processes
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills, both oral & written negotiation skills and ability to apply those skills internally, externally and with our supply chain
- Ability to use a range of IT packages including Microsoft Office and bespoke packages
- Be able to interpret complex and sensitive information and provided confidentiality within the working environment
- Be able to read, write and speak English fluently
The successful candidate is likely to meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Quantity Surveying or similar related qualification desirable
- Keen to pursue personal development needs and maintain up-to-date industry knowledge
- Be open and adaptable to new ways of learning and practice applying this within your role
- Positive attitude always and the ability to integrate and play an active part within the Construction team and the ability to prioritise to meet deadlines
- Possess a good sense of humour and willingness to engage with people from other cultures
- Strive to be a valued and trusted member of the team
Employing Company Overview and Profile
This Maxim client employer is a private company with a number of UK offices including the office in Market Harborough, Leicestershire where this role is based.
The company is essentially an international building contractor and developer that is focused on delivering building and social infrastructure and financial solutions into a number of countries in Sub – Saharan Africa.
Operating as a specialist provider within the National Infrastructure Marketplace, they provide Turnkey and construction-based expertise in the delivery of large-scale international projects.
These can include hospitals, energy projects and a variety of other construction related projects.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
- Salary: £28,000 to £32,000 per annum depending on experience
- Holidays - 20 days, plus bank holidays
- 3-month probationary period
- Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm office Hours with reasonable additional hours when needed without additional pay
- Travel and reasonable out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed
- Laptop and mobile
- The place of employment is Market Harborough, Leicestershire, UK,
Recommend this job to a friend
and get a £500-£1000 cash reward for successful matches.Recommend a friend