Associate Director Claims and Disputes
A Sydney, Australia based claims and disputes consultancy is seeking an Associate Director to carry out complex commissions and assist in business development to generate new revenue.
The successful candidate could come from a quantum or delay background (or both) but must have prior experience working for a specialist consultancy on complex claims AND disputes related work.
It is critical that the successful candidate has extremely strong writing skills and have prior experience of drafting / writing expert reports for formal disputes. This is something that you will be asked to demonstrate at the interview process.
In return you will join a small but highly reputable consultancy based in Sydney, Australia. You will work out of stylish offices overlooking the iconic Sydney Harbour area. The business offers a genuine consultative service to their clients providing advice on commercial and contractual strategy, claims management and advice on dispute resolution.
They have a strong client base throughout Australia and New Zealand and due to an increase in work in the Australasia region, there is a specific plan to grow the business by making several critical hires throughout 2021. They will actively work with you to provide you with the support and opportunities to become an expert witness.
You will be exposed to a broad range of interesting and challenging work, dealing with complex claims and disputes for companies operating in the construction and infrastructure industries.
Responsibilities and Duties
Your role will see you:
- Managing teams of client representatives and other professionals to provide advice and prepare claims;
- Managing and preparing construction claims including variations, extensions of time, disruption claims, acceleration claims and like claims, including performing technical analysis, gathering evidence and drafting technical submissions;
- Developing claims and disputes strategies to meet client objectives;
- Drafting contractual correspondence;
- Providing contract administration and commercial management advice;
- Managing dispute resolution processes (including by working with external legal professionals), including mediation, expert determination and preparing adjudication applications and responses under security of payment legislation;
- Briefing and working with other specialist consultants and legal professionals.
In addition to your technical skills, you will also:
- Actively undertake business development activities to expand the Company’s client base;
- Foster existing client relationships;
- Undertake other business development activities, including preparing and delivering seminars and attending industry events.
Desired Skills and Experience
- A background in either quantum or delay analysis, with experience in preparing expert reports and a desire to develop into a lead expert;
- A CV demonstrating frequent and continued exposure in recent years to formal disputes such as adjudication, arbitration or litigation
- Good knowledge of commercial and claims issues in construction
- Excellent, demonstrable written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent, demonstrable problem solving skills and attention to detail;
- A proven ability to foster client relationships;
- Proven ability to work autonomously and as part of a team;
- Prior local experience in the Australia and/or New Zealand market is desirable, but not essential for the ideal candidate
- A construction related degree is essential.
- Achieved or working towards a Masters in construction law or similar subject is highly desirable
- A relevant professional membership to a globally recognised organisation such as the RICS or similar equivalent would be advantageous, but is not essential
Employing Company Overview and Profile
The hiring company is a growing provider of specialist commercial advisory, claims management and dispute resolution services to the construction and infrastructure industries throughout Australia and New Zealand.
They are a small but growing boutique firm based in Sydney and with a strong client base in Australia and New Zealand. They pride themselves on providing a true consultative and advisory service to their clients.
The team is made of up industry experts with a wealth of experience in the claims and disputes sector. Successful candidates can expect to join a highly professional team that like to provide a very high level of service to their clients.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
The salary for this role is negotiable dependant on the skills, experience and opportunities that a candidate can bring to the business. As a guide, however the basic salary is likely to be in the region of:
$175k - $200k AUS
+ 4 Weeks holiday