Clerk of Works
Clerk of Works job based in Kent to work based from home, on a range of local social housing projects in Kent . Your employer is a market leading professional quantity surveying and project management consultancy that has a fantastic reputation providing long term Clerk of Works services to social housing providers that want the highest standards of construction from their housebuilding contractors and supply chain.
- A Clerk of Works job to cover the Kent area and suitable candidates for this exciting job will ideally live within the Kent area.
- The Clerk of Works role will focus on social housing construction projects
- The Clerk of Works job will be be based from home, with site visits within Kent and bordering counties on a daily basis.
- The national Clerk of Works team meet every week via Teams and face to face once a month (when safe to do so). Strong team bonds are developed for support and camaraderie, and there is a positive vibe and enjoyment of work amongst staff at this professional and considerate company
- Previous experience as a Clerk of Works, Employers Agent, Building Control Inspector, as a Building Warranty Inspector, Site Manager or in a role within Planned Maintenance are all relevant backgrounds for this professional Clerk of Works job role.
Responsibilities and Duties
- As Clerk of Works, you will act as the principal point of contact with the social housing client in respect of the construction quality on site
- You will work independently without the need to seek approval or advice, to deliver the full Clerk of Works service to one or multiple social housing clients to an exceptional standard.
- You will demonstrate strong analytical and problem-solving skills to ensure issues are resolved at an early stage and that all stakeholders are satisfied with the quality of the construction process and the social housing end product that is constructed and signed off as completed
- You will be a Clerk of Works that is able to manage multiple social housing projects simultaneously and be able to deploy excellent time management strategies to ensure efficient working practices are undertaken by both yourself and the people around you
- You will visit multiple sites on a regular basis using the company car provided and you will be regarded as an important part of both each site team and the Clerk of Works team that works across the county and across much of England
- You will provide the Administration team in head office with dictated reports and photographs following completion of each site inspection so that the report can be issued in a timely manner and further follow ups undertaken as appropriate.
- Head office administration support is of a good standard and you will be facilitated to do an excellent, satisfying and much valued and appreciated job
- You will diligently follow the clear Quality Management System to ensure successful delivery of all client COW services exactly as specified and agreed to everyone’s satisfaction
- You will demonstrate a good understanding of the building and housing industry, have a basic technical and construction awareness and competence, and be able to show a good working knowledge of materials, trades, methods, and legal requirements.
- You will be able to check workmanship and materials on site and have a good attention to detail
- You will have good communication skills and a diplomatic manner. You will be able to establish and maintain a good working relationship with client, contractors, subcontractors and colleagues alike. You will be able to be persuasive but also diplomatic. You will be able to judge when to insist on corrections, when to persuade and when to compromise
- You will have very strong IT skills, knowledge of relevant software and be able to lead the adoption of new technologies and ways of working to maximise efficiency and client satisfaction
- You will lead by example with matters of health & safety and always ware PPE when on a construction site
Desired Skills and Experience
- It is estimated that at least 5+ years of relevant experience will have been previously gained in order to be able to work as a Clerk of Works that can work fully independently and competently in this role. Additional years of experience are also very welcome and there are potential opportunities to progress within the structure of the company during 2021 and into 2022
- A background of holding previous jobs such as a Clerk of Works, Employers Agent, a Customer Care Manager, a job in Building Control Inspection, work as a Building Warranty Inspector, Site Manager or a role within Planned Maintenance are all interesting and relevant backgrounds that offer relevant and transferrable skills and experience
- Being a Licentiate Member of the Institute of Clerks of Works and Construction Inspectorate of GB Inc. would be very advantageous. Details of the Institute of Clerks of Works can be found at www.icwci.org. Membership types include the acronyms LICWCI, MICWCI and FICWCI. Willingness to achieve full membership of ICWCI is expected within 12 months of joining the company and all related professional fees will be covered by your new employer
- Previous work for types of organisations as social housing organisations, social housing consultancies, or for a building contractor or housebuilder are highly desirable
- You will commit to at least 20 hours a year of Continual Professional Development (CPD)
- You will be, and keep up to date with changes in construction methods and statutory legislation
- Clerk of Works ICWCI accredited / accreditation is highly desirable
Employing Company Overview and Profile
This employer is a leading Chartered Quantity Surveying and Project Management consultancy working on projects across England, with a focus on the Midlands, Home Counties and South of England. Operating in counties including Leicestershire, Hertfordshire, Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex and Kent, they are growing fast and have a full order book of social housing work to undertake for clients for years to come.
This leading employer values loyalty and consistency, and rewards their hard-working staff with generous salaries, bonuses, professional development and the payment of professional fees. They encourage and facilitate strong working and social relationships across the company. Maxim Recruitment is proud to have worked with this company for many years and recommend them highly. Full company overview details will be provided to shortlisted applicants
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
Generous basic salary of up to £47,000 to account for London / London region cost of living
Company car provided + business mileage paid
Phone + laptop