Clerk of Works
We are looking to employ a Clerk of Works to work for a successful QS and PM Consultancy. The role is a home-based vacancy with travel to sites in and around Oxfordshire and the surrounding areas including Berkshire, Hampshire, Wiltshire, Buckinghamshire and Gloucester.
Your role will be to carry out site inspections throughout the duration of projects and produce professional reports on behalf of the client.
The hiring company are looking for a knowledgeable construction professional familiar with construction technology and modern methods of construction, to inspect sites across the southern region.
The hiring company is looking for candidates to carry out the role on a permanent PAYE basis only.
The hiring company has a client base which is heavily biased towards residential new build and refurbishment projects and therefore the successful candidate will need to have prior experience working in this sector.
The client works on projects nationwide; however, they are specifically looking to hire a Clerk of Works in and around the Oxford, Oxfordshire area who can manage sites in that region. You will work alongside 5 Clerk of Works, who will share sites dependant on location and capacity.
Responsibilities and Duties
This is a home-based role (even post COVID restrictions) reporting into the Director of the business. You will manage your own diary and be required to split your time in accordance with fulfilling your obligations to visit sites and carry out inspections, and writing your progress reports from home, before submitting them to the client.
In addition to the above, you will be required to visit the hiring company’s head office in Leicestershire approximately once a fortnight to attend progress meetings.
Duties will include:
- Regular site visits – based largely in the south of the UK (including, but not exclusive to Oxfordshire, Berkshire, Hampshire, Wiltshire, Buckinghamshire and Gloucester)
- Inspecting contractors work based on specifications, plans, building regulations etc
- Report writing – This is includes uploading of photos
- Snagging inspections
- Identifying and reporting a defects
- Client facing responsibilities to a demanding client
Desired Skills and Experience
- Knowledgeable construction professional with experience in a similar role previously. This could include clerk or works, building control / warranty inspector or site manager
- Strong organisation and planning skills to manage your diary to fulfil site based and report writing obligations
- You will have previous experience of working in the residential sector
- Good knowledge or building regulations and the ability to read construction drawings
- IT literate is essential
- Report writing skills (You may be asked to provide evidence of this as part of the interview process)
- Strong client facing skills are required to fulfil this role and previous demonstrable experience of this would be advantageous.
- CSCS Card or similar
- A formal qualification in construction, engineering or project management would be advantageous, but is not essential
Employing Company Overview and Profile
The hiring company is a successful, Chartered QS and PM practice based in the South of Leicester, just off the A6. They have an established client base which generates a high volume of repeat work for the business and an enviable order book for next 12-18 months.
The business is being ran extremely well and have experienced impressive growth in the last year rising from 10 to 25 members of staff. Their portfolio of clients and projects has been largely unaffected by the Covid-19 restrictions.
They are a sociable office who work closely together and have a collaborative working environment and are fully focussed on supporting employees with career development, further education, training and professional memberships.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
Circa £30k - £40k Basic salary
+ Business mileage paid on travel (12p per mile)
+ Company Vehicle