Contracts Manager Airport BaggageRef MAX8731 Job Posted 18/06/2019 Region Canada Location Toronto, Canada Salary To GBP88,000 Salary Band £60,000 to £149,999 TypePermanent Consultant Steve Thomas
Challenging Contracts Manager job at Toronto Airport, Canada with responsibility for commercial and contractual aspects of a major long term baggage handling installation contract.
This Contracts Manager role that requires a strong commerical and contractual input, is an important position within the baggage handling BHS project team at Toronto Airport, and requires excellent organizational, communicational as well as coordination skills. The Contracts Manager is a key resource and support function for the Project Director and key subject matter expert interfacing with the Project Management and other Management function.
The Contracts Manager job role requires an excellent understanding of the contract with the Client, stakeholder partners as well as suppliers and subcontractors. This includes a strong undertanding and contractual and commercial awareness of terms and conditions, interfacing scope, budgets, quality and time.
Working for the specialist baggage handling contractor, the Contracts Manager will be involved in negotiations, help improve the efficiency in project execution by guarding from potential violations of contractual agreements from others (client, partners, supplier and subcontractors) as well as protecting and de-risking the project from potential claims in any of its constituent contracts.
The Contracts Manager will support creating transparency in consequences of contractual deviations like scope changes, changes of the plan and non-fulfillment of other contractual requirements and will collect the facts and create the communication internally and to the customer.
The Contracts Manager at Toronto Airport will join a live team working on a number of recently awarded contracts at Toronto Airport, Canada as a part of a long term baggage handling partnership delivery framework.
Responsibilities and Duties
The Contracts Manager will be responsible for Contract Administration job duties as follows:
- Participation in external project meetings alongside the Project Director, or as delegated
- Develop a Contract Change Management Strategy to meet project requirements
- Responsible for review of the contract documentation and assessment of potential risks
- Responsible for integration of the contractual risks in the risk register including development, execution (managed execution) and tracking of risk mitigation measures.
- Responsible for generating a common contractual overview of the projects obligations and baselines (scope, budget, quality, time) and understanding in the project team including the highlighting of potential risks, claims and mitigation actions.
- Provide systematic setup of generating contemporary records within the project and ensure adherence by the project team
- Prepare change orders and variations including necessary substantiation considering support and optimization of scheduling tasks (e.g. Time Impact Analysis) as well as commercial assessment of the changes in correlation with the relevant departments
- Draft notices of impact of any program element that has affected or may affect the scope, time or cost of a project.
- Support the Project Director in negotiating and agreeing compensations on cost and time.
- Maintain accurate records of all contractual deviations and consequences.
- Support preparation and management of subcontracts in coordination with the Procurement Department allowing for the appropriate transfer of terms and conditions required from the contract.
Project Management Support
- Provide timely feedback to Project Management on contractual deviations and consequences.
- Management Summaries of relevant project situations/scenarios to allow for informed decisions by Management
- Contract Verifications to advise the contractual position on relevant matters
- Adhere to all company policies, procedures and business ethics codes and ensures that they are communicated and implemented within the team.
- Interface with the Planning and Commercial departments within the projects
The Contracts Manager will also be responsible for Communication / Correspondence / Stakeholder Management as follows:
- Create communication to customer and internal on deviations and consequences
- Develop and maintain close relations with Customers and Suppliers on contractual obligations.
- Serve as a contact to customers for their contractual requests
- Responsible for contractual correspondence regarding matters concerning baselines (scope, quality, time) and review outgoing correspondence to ensure that all formal external project communication is not generating risks and activities are aligned with the contractual strategies.
- May be assigned to special projects or duties based on project needs
Desired Skills and Experience
A detailed understanding of how large construction projects are executed and the resulting strategic navigation within the project, its contracts and towards the set goal is key.
- Evidence of a strong engineering mindset is essential - this is a role for an engineer with a commercial and contractual touch not vice versa. Evidence of construction management experience is required.
- Around 10 years of experience managing complex contracts, ideally with some experience of integration projects
- Must have experience in engineering or construction management; civil engineering, infrastructure or industrial engineering knowledge desired
- Must have demonstrable relevant experience in contract management / contract administration on behalf of a main or larger contractor managing contracts towards the customer and subcontractors
- Mediation, problem solving and decision making experience
- Proven ability to interact and cooperate with all company employees
- Detailed oriented with excellent time management skills and the ability to learn/adapt quickly
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellence in handling multiple tasks and work well under pressure; sense of both urgency and thoroughness
- Demonstrable stakeholder management experience in a complex and pressurised environment is essential
- Must be a positive, self-driven, pro-active professional with an energetic attitude
- Bachelors degree or equivalent in a construction field is expected
- High degree of computer literacy, including use of Microsoft Office
- Certification in contract management or equivalent (eg MRICS/PMP etc) is highly desirable
- Experience in one or more of the following areas is desired: Complex Construction Projects, Baggage Handling Systems, Contract Law.
Employing Company Overview and Profile
The employer is baggage handling systems subcontractor working around the world in partnership with many of the world's best contractors and with national and international airports.
They offer a design and build service to provide fully integrated automated high-speed airport baggage handling systems that include security screening, storage, sortation and transportation of departure baggage from check-in to departure gate, as well as transportation of transfer and arrival baggage. Full details of this exciting international employer will be provided to applicants who are shortlisted following the presentation of their updated CV.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
- Salary and package will be negotiated based on experience.
- Local Canadian candidates with relevant experience are invited to apply as are suitably experienced aviation and baggage handling BHS Contracts Managers willing to relocate from elsewhere in the world.
Recommend this job to a friend
and get a £500-£1000 cash reward for successful matches.Recommend a friend