Estimating ManagerRef MAX9035 Consultant Stuart Hackett Region Midlands and East Anglia Location North Leicester Salary £65k - £75k + Car Allowance Salary Band £60,000 to £149,999 TypePermanent Job Posted 18/01/2021 Status Live: Interviewing now
An experienced estimator with a successful track record of successfully tendering for civil engineering projects is required, to join an established and professional regional contractor in Leicester.
The hiring company are a specialist, regional, civil engineering contractor who typically carry out projects in the East Midlands and surrounding counties.
Typical projects include highways works, deep and shallow drainage, bridgeworks and other general civils related projects typically valued between £0.5m - £5m.
As part of the businesses growth plans, they are looking to tender for and win more projects at circa £3m - £5m in value, and would expect the suitable candidate to have exposure to leading tendering processes at similar, or higher values to this.
The candidate will need to reside within a reasonable commuting distance to Leicester, however the business are happy to discuss a the successful candidate working from home a couple of days a week (post covid).
Responsibilities and Duties
The successful candidate will report into the Commercial Director and will lead a small team of staff carrying out the estimating function within the business. You will oversee the strategic approach to all tender and business development activities In order that targets are achieved and profitable work is secured.
Specific responsibilities will include (but will not be limited to):
- Hands on management approach to all Estimating & Business Development activities
- Challenge; Identify and lead strategic approach to all tender and business development activities
- Identify commercial opportunities and risks and lead tender stage strategy
- Work closely with all Clients and proactively interact about new and existing tenders
- Maintain good contacts and relationships with all supply chain partners and sub-contractors
- Review all incoming tenders including allocation to team members and declining where appropriate, all in accordance with D&W tender strategy
- Lead the pricing activities on larger and higher risk tenders on a first principles basis
- Ensure that a logical Tender Programme is developed for all submitted tenders
- Ensure that a L&P balance is undertaken between resources within the Estimating software and resourced Tender Programme
- Review and challenge tender price build-ups
- Undertake final settlement for all tenders
- Ensure that all tenders are followed up in a timely manner and records are kept of all outcomes
- Ensure that the weekly Tender Review Team Meeting is undertaken, and all agreed actions are carried out
- Involvement in presentations and tender negotiations
- Ensure that the Tender Handover Meeting is conducted in a timely & effective manner following notification of award
- Identify training needs in line with works requirements. Notify your line manager / HR of any requirements and seek training approvals.
- Management of people issues within your team including direct report appraisals, Training Plans, Disciplinary, Grievance and Absence Reviews
Desired Skills and Experience
- A demonstrable track record of successfully leading the tendering process on projects within the civil engineering sector for a contractor
- Strong management skills, and the ability to manage a small team of staff
- Commercial and contractual awareness
- Experience and knowledge of CDM regulations
- Competent at using common estimating software’s
- A thorough understanding of all commonly used methods of measurement, including MMHW and CESMM.
- Computer literate
- Good working knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation relating to health & safety and environment management
- Ability to identify and assess contractual risks, understanding method statements and safe systems of work
- A formal qualification such as a HNC, HND or Degree is desired
- CSCS card holder
- Valid drivers license and ability to drive
Employing Company Overview and Profile
The hiring company is a well established, award winning, civil engineering contractor based out of North Leicestershire, with good links to their office via the A6, A46 and M1.
They turnover approximately £22m and have ambitions to sensibly grow their turnover in the next few years via a number of different methods, including winning a number of larger value projects (Circa £3m - £5m).
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
Basic salary in the region of £65k – £75k
+ Car allowance / fully expensed company car
Recommend this job to a friend
and get a £500-£1000 cash reward for successful matches.Recommend a friend