Managing Quantity SurveyorRef MAX8714 Job Posted 15/05/2019 Region North and Scotland Location Derby, Derbyshire Salary Negotiable Salary Band £60,000 to £149,999 TypePermanent Consultant Steve Thomas
Managing Quantity Surveyor job vacancy to work for a leading civil engineering contractor based from Derbyshire to manage the commercial function and take responsibility for a full operating region working in partnership with the Regional Director.
To lead and manage a team of around 10 Quantity Surveyors and Senior Quantity Surveyors running the Midlands / northern regional civil engineering construction function for a major national civil engineering contractor.
The region's hub is in the Derby area, and includes the counties and regions of Derbyshire, West Midlands, Birmingham, Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Staffordshire, Leicestershire, Warwickshire and Rutland. While you will be organising your own diary, you will need to be regularly visiting live projects and offering commercial management and support as required.
Projects include one off civil engineering and infrastructure projects that range between £1m to £50m in value but typically are £5-20m in size. In addition there are a number of live framework projects for water, environmental and highways and road clients that require regular oversight, management and commercial attention.
Responsibilities and Duties
The main Managing Quantity Surveyor duties on the civil enginering projects and frameworks described above will include:
- Ability to identify potential risks and evaluate options for control
- Review and authorise certification for contract payments to sub-contractors.
- Management of regional staff to ensure contract variations are identified and maximise recovery.
- Management or regional staff to facilitate timely applications for payment and prompt final account settlements.
- Notify the Board of Directors of major financial and commercial problems or disputes.
- Prepare documentation for dispute resolution when required.
- Prepare and review CVR reports with Contracts Managers and agree reporting position prior to submission to Regional Director.
- Present commercial reporting to the Regional Director.
- Ensure regional staff comply with commercial procedures and contractual requirements.
- Guide and advise regional staff on contractual and financial issues affecting the commercial aspects in the region.
- Recruitment, management and development of regional staff, identifying training where necessary.
Desired Skills and Experience
- You will need to be able to demonstrate knowledge of working as a Managing Quantity Surveyor or be ready for promotion from Senior Quantity Surveyor to Managing Quantity Surveyor.
- You will need to be able to show a broad range of Civil Engineering project experience, preferably within the UK and have gained this experience working for a national or regional civil engineering contractor or subcontractor.
- Project experience must include contracting experience on highways, roads, infrastructure and structures and bridge civil engineering projects.
- You will need to be proficient in all aspects of the NEC form of contract and be able to show this experience.
- Demonstable communication and staff management skills
- Demonstrable experience of managing potential risks and evaluating options for control are needed
- Demonstrable experience of reviewing and authorising certification for contract payments to sub-contractors.
- Demonstrable experience of managing regional staff to ensure contract variations are identified and maximise recovery.
- Demonstrable experience of managing regional staff to facilitate timely applications for payment and prompt final account settlements.
- Able to notify the Board of Directors of major financial and commercial problems or disputes.
- Experience of preparing documentation for dispute resolution that has led to successful outcomes
- Demonstrable experience of preparing and reviewing CVR reports with Contracts Managers and agreeing reporting position prior to submission
- Experience of presenting commercial reports to the Regional Director.
- Experience of ensuring regional staff comply with commercial procedures and contractual requirements.
- Experience of guiding and advising regional staff on contractual and financial issues affecting the commercial aspects in the region.
- Experience of recruitment, management and development of regional staff, and of identifying training needs.
- A degree or HNC/HND or equivalent in Quantity Surveying or Commercial Management is desired
- MRICS or MInstCES is also desirable
Employing Company Overview and Profile
A high quality and well regarded national civil engineering contractor operating from a number of regional hubs across the UK.
They have a number of blue chip public and private sector client customers they work for on both a one off, repeat, negotiated and long term NEC framework basis.
Projects include one off civil engineering and infrastructure projects that range between £1m to £50m in value but typically are £5-20m in size and in addition there are a number of live framework projects for water, environmental and highways/road clients.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
Car or Car Allowance
- Senior Quantity Surveyor Derby, Derbyshire - Negotiable
- Quantity Surveyor Derby, Derbyshire - Negotiable
- Quantity Surveyor Wanchai, HK Island - HK$30K-HK$60K
- Senior Quantity Surveyor Toronto, Canada - $120k - $150k + package
- Managing Quantity Surveyor Birmingham, West Midlands - Circa £50k - £60k + benefits
Recommend this job to a friend
and get a £500-£1000 cash reward for successful matches.Recommend a friend