Project DirectorRef MAX8682 Job Posted 08/04/2019 Region Canada Location Toronto, Canada Salary CAD$250k+ (GBP150k++) Plus Full Package Salary Band £150,000 Plus TypePermanent Consultant Steve Thomas
Project Director role in Toronto, Canada for a highly ambitious civil engineering contracting Project Director with corporate senior management ambitions. You will be responsible for multiple major civil engineering projects and have the capability to run a civil engineering contracting business unit.
To take the role of Project Director on a range of civil engineering infrastructure projects including roads, bridges, tunnelling, mining and other similar large scale construction projects.
Projects will range in value up to around CAD$300m (GBP c.175m). The ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects concurrently is essential. There is excellent career potential to move into an Area Director or Vice President level role within a short period of time once your capability is demonstrated. The business unit has turnover in excess of CAD$750m (GBP430m) and the potential to double in the coming few years.
Responsibilities and Duties
Project Director Duties & Responsibilities Responsibilities in Detail:
- Direct and coordinate the Major Project Division
- Responsibility for Safety and continuous improvement
- Review and analyse activities including costs, operations, and forecasts against business goals and objectives
- Partner with other divisions and corporate personnel to ensure success of related business plans and initiatives
- Act as an important member of the Senior Management Team within the civil engineering infrastructure construction business
- Direct and coordinate promotion of products and services to develop new markets, increase market share, and maintain enviable position in industry specialist area.
- Conduct Executive level business development and relationship building in the major projects environment
Necessary Competencies to Carry out Required Civil Engineering Project Director Duties & Responsibilities:
- Stakeholder Management
- Strong demonstrable ability to influence, both with and without direct authority
- High degree of emotional intelligence; ability to consider multiple points of view, strong self-awareness, and social skills to maneuver through situations with diverse stakeholders
- Ability to effectively maneuver through complex political situations, understand how people and organizations function, and anticipate issues and plan an approach accordingly
- Strong change leadership skills with a demonstrated ability to effectively lead both small and larger scale organizational change.
- Critical thinking capability by applying sound analysis and logical reasoning to evaluate ideas, decisions and outcomes. Able to properly evaluate the quality of evidence and reasoning, then draw appropriate conclusions.
- Strategic Orientation
- Commercial acumen and ability to understand the drivers, financials, variables and underlying business models our organization utilizes to generate a profit and drive toward being a sustainable organization.
- External & Internal Focus leading to a balanced, effective approach to implementing best practices
- Able to build High Performance Teams
- Can build trust by creating and sustaining trusting relationships with direct reports, colleagues and superiors
- Strong decision-making skills which leverage analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment
- Motivates teams by empowering people, delegating, and creating a positive work environment
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate by valuing and actively supporting the development and maintenance of positive relationships
Desired Skills and Experience
- A minimum of 20 years of construction experience, including experience leading major projects
- Most if not all experience is expected to be gained from working for a contracting company (NOT a consultant / consultancy / end user / client side organisation)
- The proven ability to successfully manage large scale, complex P3 Public Private Partnership and mega major construction projects
- Experience working in Joint Ventures and the demonstrated ability to integrate with other companies to achieve shared objectives
- The proven ability to effectively manage project staff.
- Sound understanding of contractual, commercial and financial functions on major projects
- Thorough knowledge of all aspects of construction (technology, equipment, methods), industry practices, estimating/budgeting, scheduling and safety requirements.
- EPC construction experience
- Proven leadership and communication skills interfacing with clients, government, employees and partners
- Understanding and experience with various methods of project delivery
- Ability to react and adapt quickly to direction changes in preferred corporate and business unit marketplace.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or equivalent
- Chartership or other professional construction or management qualifications in Canada or internationally recognised would be advantageous.
Employing Company Overview and Profile
This employer is a major Canadian civil engineering infrastructure contractor with an excellent reputation and a full orderbook of roads, bridges, tunnelling, mining and other similar large scale construction projects.
A full profile of this market leading Canadian and international contractor will be given to shortlisted applicants
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
Relocation & 3 months accommodation costs
1 month salary as sign on bonus
Short + long term benefits and shares package
- Programme Director - Airport Infrastructure Redevelopment Toronto, Ontario - to cGBP 100k + 20% Bonus + relocation
Recommend this job to a friend
and get a £500-£1000 cash reward for successful matches.Recommend a friend