Project Quantity SurveyorRef MAX8832 Consultant Steve Thomas Region Midlands and East Anglia Location Market Harborough, Leicestershire Salary to GBP55,000 Salary Band Up to £59,999 TypePermanent Job Posted 02/12/2019 Status Active: Maxim working on candidate shortlist
A Project Quantity Surveyor is needed to take a Market Harborough based role in Leicestershire working on international construction and development projects. You will assist the Commercial Manager in all aspects of planning, delivering and managing the commercial functions and claims on a range of Design and Build construction and development projects.
A Project Quantity Surveyor Project QS is needed to support the Commercial Manager and work closely with both the Purchasing and Logistics Team in Market Harborough, Leicestershire and the In-country Construction Delivery Team in Africa.
The Project Quantity Surveyor based in the Market Harborough office in Leicestershire will be responsible to the Commercial Manager and will provide support, advice, report on and have control of all commercial and financial aspects of project(s) and contract(s).
The Project Quantity Surveyor will be flexible but meticulous in their approach and be confident in working independently, often with very little information and with Architects conceptual drawings in order to create budgets for various projects.
The role includes offering support to the Country and Operations Manager to allow projects to be safely delivered on time, to budget and to achieve the highest levels of client satisfaction and enable the Company objectives to be achieved.
The Project Quantity Surveyor shall communicate and co-ordinate with Business Development and the wider Construction teams and provide all necessary cost information required to deliver successful cost estimates, commerical management of projects and construction claims management for new and ongoing live international opportunities within the health and primary infrastructure sectors.
The Project Quantity Surveyor will be part of the overall construction delivery team led by the Director of Construction based out of another UK office.
Responsibilities and Duties
Based from Market Harborough in Leicestershire, it is envisaged that the role shall include the following tasks but that these will be further developed to meet both the business and project needs, as required:
- Assist the Commercial Manager in all aspects of planning, delivering and managing the commercial functions both in the UK and across overseas projects;
- Develop further a set of robust cost estimation processes with the Commercial Manager
- Provide cost estimates and plans for various new opportunities in line with outline specifications
- Prepare tender and contract documents, including Bill of Quantities and schedules in conjunction with the Commercial Manager
- Review all cost estimates with the Commercial Manager before they are submitted
- Analyse and verify cost estimates provided by sub-contractors and identify any anomalies for reconciliation
- Determine the scope of work and contents of project estimates by preparing a list of bid quantities and associated items
- Source and provide accurate pricing information for materials, labour, plant and equipment etc.
- Obtain quotations and be responsible for reviewing, analysing and recommending subcontractors and vendors with the Commercial Manager
- Produce and send enquiries to subcontractors inviting them to tender and engagement with supply chain
- Receive and analyse subcontractor/supplier quotations and costs, liaising with P&L regarding price, proven history, availability etc.
- Notify in writing both successful and unsuccessful subcontractors in a timely manner
- Produce and process formal subcontract documents and certify interim and final payments and final subcontract accounts
- Handle all claims issues relating to extension of time and the critical path relating to the project construction schedule
- Produce bills of quantities and activity schedule for payment purposes
- Produce cash flow forecasts for internal and client purposes
- Monitor and control income and expenditure on contracts e.g. interim/final applications for payment/final accounts etc. liaising where necessary with the relevant people
- Produce relevant monthly reports for the Commercial Manager e.g. cost and value comparisons, turnover forecasts etc. ensuring information is complete and accurate
- Liaise and co-ordinate all commercial activities and actions with the in-country QS Consultant.
Desired Skills and Experience
The successful candidate is likely to meet all the following criteria:
- Have around 8-10+ years’ experience or equivalent initially as an Assistant QS, Trainee QS or Graduate QS and more recently acting in a Project QS or Senior QS capacity with similar duties to those above.
- Be able to interpret complex and sensitive information and provided confidentiality within the working environment
- Be able to demonstrate a detailed working knowledge of quantity surveying, estimating and all forms of costing documentation and systems
- Have strong project based claims experience relating to extension of time and critical path analysis
- Exceptional relationship building skills, self-motivated, problem solver and proactive commercial and financial awareness and solid understanding of the construction and measurement processes
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills, both oral & written negotiation skills and ability to apply those skills internally, externally and with our supply chain
- Ability to use a range of IT packages including Microsoft Office and bespoke packages
- Experience of working with and interpreting NEC and FIDIC contracts
- Ability to assess, review and make recommendation on monthly payment certificates for subcontractors
- Be able to call for, receive, evaluate and negotiate sub-contractors offers/quotations.
- Ability to challenge resources and costs both internally and externally with subcontractors and/or consultants
- Have an eye for quality and attention to detail both from a design and cost perspective
- Must be able to work in a busy office and show good time management skills
- Enjoy working as part of a team in order to achieve common goals and company objectives
- Have experience and be comfortable working with people/partners/stakeholders across all levels
- Must be prepared to work to tight deadlines (tender submissions / monthly commercial calendar)
- Be able to read, write and speak English fluently
The successful candidate is likely to meet all the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Quantity Surveying or similar related qualifications
- Be open and adaptable to new ways of learning and practice applying this within your role
- Positive attitude always and the ability to integrate and play an active part within the Construction team and the ability to prioritise to meet deadlines
- Keen to pursue personal development needs and maintain up-to-date industry knowledge
- Possess a good sense of humour and willingness to engage with people from other cultures
- Strive to be a valued and trusted member of the team
The client wishes to identify suitable candidates as soon as possible and for them to start early in 2020, ideally in January 2020.
The successful candidate should be able to accept the post immediately or begin working their notice as soon as possible once terms are agreed.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview with the Commercial Manager and a HR representative at the client's offices in Market Harborough.
Employing Company Overview and Profile
This Maxim client employer is a private company with a number of UK offices including the office in Market Harborough where this role is based.
The company is a Design & Build contractor and developer that is focused on delivering infrastructure and financial solutions into a number of countries in Sub – Saharan Africa.
Operating as a specialist provider within the National Infrastructure Marketplace, they provide Turnkey and construction-based expertise in the delivery of large-scale international projects.
These can include hospitals, energy projects and a variety of other construction related projects.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
- Salary: To £55,000 per annum depending on experience
- Holidays - 20 days, plus bank holidays
- 3-month probationary period
- Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm office Hours with reasonable additional hours as required
- Travel and reasonable out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed
- Laptop and mobile
- The place of employment is Market Harborough, UK, although international travel may be required.
Recommend this job to a friend
and get a £500-£1000 cash reward for successful matches.Recommend a friend