Quantity SurveyorRef MAX7468 Job Posted 07/12/2016 Region South East England Location Berkshire Salary Negotiable Salary Band Up to £59,999 TypePermanent Consultant Steve Thomas
Quantity Surveyor needed for the M5 Smart Motorway project and a number of other highway schemes in the Berkshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire and surrounding counties and towns.
Highways England has committed to spend GBP1.5Billion to build 10 'smart motorways' between 2016 and 2021. 292 extra lane miles will be added to motorways. This is done by converting the hard shoulder to a traffic lane and signing and technology will tell motorway drivers what speed to drive at, if lanes are blocked or closed and about any incidents up ahead. The focus will be on performing these upgrades to congested sections of motorways. In particular, this leading contractor working in joint venture (JV) with another well regarded contractor is on the framework for this work and has now been awarded a number of projects in the Home Counties and west of England region.
The Early Contractor Involvement phase (ECI) is now finishing and site work on the Collaborative Delivery Framework (CDF) is starting.
Responsibilities and Duties
The Quantity Surveying duties for this role on such a strategically important long term project framework are both focussed, detailed and collaborative.
An understanding of the post contract commercial dynamics of heavy civils works such as major earthworks, drainage, RC structure and roadworks is critical.
As work is civils construction rather than maintenance related, the duties will relate to unique situations and will require judgement and initiative to be applied on a daily basis.
Detailed Civils and Highway Quantity Surveyor Job Duties Include:
- Providing value engineering input
- Carrying out periodic valuations of live work in progress, including forecasting of final costs under the supervision of the Senior QS
- Preparation and monitoring of project cash flow forecasts under the supervision of the Senior QS
- Measuring, valuation, submit and negotiate contract variations.
- Preparing to submit and negotiate project final accounts under the supervision of a Senior QS
- Certification of subcontractor monthly valuations and final accounts.
- Ensuring business commercial processes are adhered to at project level.
- Regular communication with project management and specialist subcontractors to ensure commercial controls are in place, understood and followed at all times.
Desired Skills and Experience
The successful Quantity Surveyor appointed will need to have a mix of experience in 2 vital areas:
1. Good commercial QS post contract site experience of heavy civils works including major earthworks, drainage, RC structure and roadworks projects in the UK civils and infrastructure contracting environment
2. Be able to demonstrate the ability to manage a 'partnering' / stakeholder / collaborative relationship style with a client rather than a traditional 'claims bashing' one to successful outcome
Previous experience of working with a civil engineering contractor on heavy civils, major earthworks, drainage, RC structure and roadworks/highway works is more important than highway maintenance experience.
A Quantity Surveying or similar QS related degree is highly desirable
Chartership or evidence of progress towards ICES or RICS is highly desirable
Employing Company Overview and Profile
A major UK national and international civil engineering and infrastructure contractor that also has building and other contracting divisions. They are a highly successful long term player in the highways and civil infrastructure sector and are on a number of highway/road frameworks and collaborative schemes, both alone and in joint venture with carefully selected long term partners.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
Private Health Cover
Matched Pension Scheme
Recommend this job to a friend
and get a £500-£1000 cash reward for successful matches.Recommend a friend