An interesting role exists with a leading national construction consultancy in a role that combines the traditional Quantity Surveying role with the ability to work in an Employer’s Agent (EA) role.
The role is to work for the companies Midlands business unit and therefore you would have the option to be based in either the Birmingham or Leicester office to suit your preference. However it must be noted that there will be some travel involved in this role.
This position would suit an ambitious and driven Quantity Surveyor or potentially even a Project Manager with strong commercial acumen.
The hiring company specialise in providing consultancy services predominantly to clients with projects within the built environment. Typical project values will likely range between £1m - £25m, however as a business they are capable of and currently have much larger projects within their portfolio of work.
Therefore there is scope for successful candidates to progress within the business on to larger projects.
Responsibilities and Duties
The successful candidate will work within a highly professional commercial team, reporting to the Partner. You will operate in a general PQS role as well as doing some Employer Agent work within the business unit.
Typical day-to-day duties will include:
- Estimating and cost planning
- Preparation of tenders, including managing the pre-qualification stage, tender analysis, producing tender report and compiling contractual documents
- Conduct cost checks, carry out valuations ensuring on projects to a time and cost effective manor
- Dealing effectively and producing post contract cost reports
- Inputting into value engineering
- Client facing at all stages of projects
- Work directly with clients to develop and define projects from the beginning through to project end, taking responsibility for their successful delivery.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Candidates should have at least a couple of year’s experience in a QS / EA role post qualification
- Previous experience in an EA role is not essential, however some knowledge and understanding of the role is desired
- Candidates should ideally have the ability to work reasonably independently on many of the duties set out above and potentially run their own projects of reasonable size
- Previous experience of working on complex projects in the built environment is desired
- Previous experience using JCT form of contract would be advantageous
- Prior experience working for a reputable national/regional PQS is desired
- Candidates should be Degree qualified or hold a similar equivalent qualification in a relevant subject such as Quantity Surveying
Employing Company Overview and Profile
The hiring company is an award winning employer with an excellent reputation as one of the UK’s leading construction consultancies. With over 10 offices throughout the UK, they have a strong domestic presence and a reasonably sized overseas business also.
They have an enviable record of staff retention which is down to providing successful candidates with continued support in relation to professional training and career development. You will also work in a collaborative and friendly environment with open communication links to senior management.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
£30k - £40k (Depending on experience)