Senior Commercial Manager
An enthusiastic and adaptable Senior Commercial Manager (project leader) is required to join a Cost Management team of a Major International Construction Consultancy in Central London. It is an opportunity for a Commercial Manager with a strong Quantity Surveying background to join an emerging part of the business, operating in a role as the second most senior to the Associate Director leading the team. This role is primarily internally focused across the various teams and is very much dedicated to improving project controls and fee management.
Projects the company work on vary over the property and infrastructure sectors, and they have worked on some of the most prestigious projects currently in the UK and also worldwide.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Supporting the Cost Management leadership team, to pursue business goals
- Provide internal client interface at a local level across projects and consultancy activity
- Develop and operate strategies to maximise project revenues and cash flow in the companies favour
- Ensure timely submission of all contractual notices and supporting data including robust payment applications
- Lead the change control process and seek early resolution of contract changes
- Guide and lead project design teams with advice and contractual support for project issues
- Lead the bidding process including the negotiation of favorable contract terms and conditions
- Manage the liaison of the commercial function with project support operations such as finance, supply chain, risk and so on to ensure compliance with the company’s procedures and instructions, including all periodic reporting functions.
- Ensure that adequate records are maintained in respect of project issues and commercial management processes
- Support work package management ensuring variances between planned budget expenditure and incurred costs are identified and appropriate action taken to minimise costs and liabilities
- Manage subcontract procurement and accounts
- Ensure insurance issues are managed in accordance with procedures
- Manage a team of commercial staff including Quantity Surveyors and other support team members
- Ensure adherence to the company’s corporate governance, policies and procedures.
- Any other tasks assigned by senior management
Desired Skills and Experience
- Strong commercial awareness gained through significant professional experience in cost consultancy / quantity surveying / commercial management
- Experience of fee management, either client-side or a consultancy
- Excellent presentation and written skills
- Experience of mentoring of less experienced quantity surveyors
- Demonstrable client facing skills and experience with a “win-win” philosophy and “can-do” attitude, with an adaptable client approach to a broad and varied client base
- Ability to communicate at all levels and able to promote development of Arup’s profile
- Good working knowledge of Project Controls is desirable
- Relevant degree and/or other academic and/or professional qualification and experience of Commercial Management
- Chartered with the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS, CIPS, IOB) or a similar body
- Registered with the RICS as an APC Candidate
Employing Company Overview and Profile
The employer is a leading international construction consultancy with offices worldwide. The company work on major projects in all sectors and are considered a market leader in delivering some of the largest and most prestigious construction projects worldwide.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
The company offer a leading benefit package including pension contribution (x2 of what you contribute up to 6% [maximum +12% on top]), bonus each year, health cover, 25 days holiday with option to buy/sell holiday days, and option to carry 10 days holiday over per year and maintain into following years.