Senior Environmental Advisor
An exciting Senior Environmental Advisor opportunity to work on the HS2 project providing the Environmental expertise to support the construction and handover phase of the project.
This Senior Environmental Advisor role has the possibility of flexible working.
Suitable Senior Environmental Advisor candidates will have previous environmental advisory experience within construction sector, particularly within rail, highways, or tunnelling.
As Senior Environmental Advisor you would be working on HS2 the UK’s new high-speed rail network which is believed will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain.
In this position, you would be helping to deliver the HS2 main civils contracts which include both Lots S1 and S2.
The value of the contracts combined is around £3.8 billion with the works due for completion in 2025. These works include twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks, and the construction of site compounds.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Understand the Client Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the contract's operations and ensure that the requirements are implemented on the project.
- Provide Environmental compliance advice to various team, including construction, procurement and subcontractors and suppliers on the practical implementation of contract policies, processes and requirements. Identify and provide training and upskilling required to fulfil environmental responsibilities of various delivery team roles.
- Undertake basic managerial duties, assigning tasks and providing support to Environmental Advisors.
- Identify and communicate environmental and sustainability risks and mitigations, assisting with the review and undertaking writing of plans, risk assessments and method statements. Providing critical on-site presence and advice to the delivery team.
- Drive awareness for and delivery against contract targets, particularly reducing Carbon and striving to achieve no-net loss in biodiversity and BREEAM/CEEQUAL ‘Excellent’ rating. Drive innovation and continuous improvement throughout the contract team.
- Provide advice and guidance, and where necessary assist with the obtaining legal consents, licenses and exemptions. Maintain good working relationships with external stakeholders such as local authorities and others as required and directed.
- Ensure works are in line with the Environmental Management System
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum of four years Environmental advisory experience in the environment and construction industry, ideally projects in rail, highways or tunneling
- Must have excellent communication, organisation and time management skills
- Able to work independently and off their own initiative.
- Confident speaker with experience preparing and delivering presentations
- Should demonstrate a passion for the Environment and sustainability which in return drives innovation
- Sound IT skills
- Degree or equivalent in Environmental Sciences or suitably applicable fields.
- Associate or Practitioner Member of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) or equivalent and internal auditing experience.
Employing Company Overview and Profile
The successful Environmental Manager candidate will join an established main contractor on the iconic HS2 project. This leading joint venture consortium JV is delivering a major portion of the tunnelling across London for High Speed 2 (HS2). The value of the project is around £2billion with the works due for completion in around 2025.
This employer encourages flexible working. Professional development, such as subsidised further study, or payment of professional membership fees are available for suitable candidates.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
- £32k - £45k
- Travel Allowance
Full package disclosed to suitable Senior Environmental Advisor