A new Senior Estimator job is open to join a leading civil engineering infrastructure and marine contractor operating across the UK with head offices based in the south of England in the Sussex region.
Civil engineering or marine heavy civils experience is essential.
A Senior Estimator with civils and infrastructure experience is needed to join an established estimating and pre-construction team based in Sussex.
The Estimating job function is to be performed in relation to a range of civil engineering construction projects from first principles including:
- Ports and harbour construction projects
- Marine and coastal related projects
- Seawalls and river coastal defence work
- Flood defence work
- Water projects including water framework and alliance work
- Civil engineering and infrastructure construction projects
Responsibilities and Duties
The Senior Estimator will be responsible for:
- Building up estimates from first principles based on the unique scope of the project and tender required
- Able to take off quantities
- Using Excel at a high level to reflect bespoke ways of pricing and interrogating the estimating and construction process
- Read drawings and understand rates for key elements
- Understand buildability and implications for estimating and pricing projects
- Able to evaluate project programme requirements and to recommend and develop methods of construction and suitable techniques to enable cost efficient bidding to be completed
- Contributing to programming and sequencing of awarded projects and their delivery and profitability
- Demonstrating a good technical knowledge of engineering issues and their impact on the estimating, pricing, costing and construction buildability and sequencing process
- Studying tender documentation to identify client requirements and develop the best solution to meet them
- Liaising with the client and client designer as and when required or it is needed
- Liaising with internal colleagues in buying, design, contracts, quantity surveying and senior management as required
- Undertaking site visits as required
- Able to handle the fast pace of design and build (D&B) contracts
- Deputising for the Estimating Manager in his absence
The Senior Estimator will need to be able to produce highly competitive tender costs to submit to the client. This is an exciting career opportunity for an Estimator or Senior Estimator to move on from a formulaic major contractor environment and be able to use their own initiative to add value and innovation to the estimating, tendering and programming & sequencing process of civil engineering and heavy civil engineering infrastructure project construction.
Desired Skills and Experience
Suitable Senior Estimator job applicants will need to be:
- Able to use previous civil engineering site experience to work up estimates based on engineering knowledge rather than simply schedule of rates method
- Able to demonstrate a detailed knowledge and understanding of civil engineering &/or marine and port civil engineering projects
- Able to demonstrate a good engineering technical knowledge gained as a Site Engineer, Senior Engineer or Site Agent and ready to use engineering and Estimating skills in a dedicated Senior Estimator job role
- Experienced in the use of Excel or estimating software at an analytical level rather than just able to perform data entry and extraction.
- MS Project software experience desirable
- Previous experience of Ports and harbour, marine and coastal related projects, seawalls and river coastal defence work, flood defence work or water projects including water framework and alliance work is highly desired
- Building or housing estimating experience is not suitable for this civil engineering Senior Estimator job role.
There is flexibility regarding construction or estimating or costing qualifications as experience in engineering and estimating is more important.
Experience gained of the estimating and construction process with a civil engineering/marine contractor is the most important qualification for the job.
An Engineering degree or HNC is of value.
Employing Company Overview and Profile
A well regarded national and international civil engineering and marine contractor with a strong order book and excellent cashflow and financial position.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives