Senior Quantity Surveyor
A Senior Quantity Surveyor is required to work for a national main contractor on a new design and build project based in Northfleet, Kent.
As Senior Quantity Surveyor you will work on a fast paced development which consists of a large industrial building with commercial office space. This is a permanent site based role in which you will be the lead Quantity Surveyor for this project and responsible for the management of at least one junior QS.
The hiring company specialise in the construction of large industrial building such as warehouses and depots. These projects typically vary between £8m and £20m in value and are all on a design & build basis using JCT contract. As a business, they are set up to work on projects as large as circa £40m.
Projects often comprise of a large industrial building, commercial office space and the surrounding landscaping and car park area. The specific project that this candidate will be employed on will be based in Northfleet, Kent.
Responsibilities and Duties
As Senior Quantity Surveyor you will take the commercial lead for the project and will report to and receive support from the Commercial Director who will be based in Head Office but will visit site regularly.
Typical duties will include:
• Ensure cash flow is maximised including ensuring payments are received on time
• Provide commercial input including financial and contractual performance forecasts to the management team. Help ensure that business targets and KPI’s are exceeded
• Preparation of monthly cost / value reports for area, together with review of results and consideration of trends with other contract team members
• Production of commercial reports together with review of results and consideration of trends with other contract team members
• Agreement of certification and payment of subcontractor accounts - monitoring of such accounts against forecasts
• Implementation and compliance with the contract change control procedure and monitoring thereof including notices to client as appropriate
• Making important commercial and contractual decisions
• Managing sub-contractors including sending out enquiries, collating prices, comparing with tender, negotiation, order placement, agreement of account and payment
• To assess, review and mitigate commercial and contractual risks and implement the company's policies for risk management
- Manage and support junior members of the commercial team and to delegate work to them as necessary
Desired Skills and Experience
- Candidates must have previous experience of managing projects in excess of £5m previously
- Ideally have experience of successfully managing junior members of staff
- Previous experience on Design & Build projects would be advantageous but is not essential
- Candidates familiar with JCT form of contract are desired
- Excellent planning and organisational skills to keep up with a fast paced environment
- Ability to work to strict deadlines and deliver results in a timely fashion
- Strong communication skills
- Candidates will ideally be Degree qualified or hold a similar equivalent qualification
Employing Company Overview and Profile
The hiring company is a national main contractor with a growing turnover which was £150m last year. They operate in a very buoyant sector of construction which is industrial buildings. Providing a design and build service, they carry out new build and refurbishment projects up and down the UK on large industrial buildings. This is a fast paced and exciting sector within the construction industry.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
Circa 45k - 60k + Car allowance (Dependant on experience)