Senior Quantity Surveyor
An award winning main contractor in the Midlands requires a Senior Quantity Surveyor to work for the company's civil engineering division. Due to an increase in work, the employer is looking to hire a senior level Quantity Surveyor within their civil engineering division. This division of the business carries out work on a wide range of large scale general civils and infrastructure work in the Midlands region. Typically situated up and down the M1 Corridor.
The hiring company are a multidisciplinary main contractor, capable of delivering projects across most sectors of the construction industry. The civil engineering division of the business are capable of performing projects such as:
• Major Earthworks including Re-profiling
• Ecological Mitigation Works
• New Highways including Section 38 and Section 278 adoptable schemes
• Traffic Signalisation Schemes
• Bridges, Retaining Walls, Culverts and Ancillary Structures
• Major Drainage Infrastructure and Section 104 Works
• Pumping Stations, Balancing Ponds and Outfall structures
• New Car Parks including Deck and Multi-storey Car Parks
• Park and Ride Scheme
• Infrastructure and specialist services in support of the Energy Industry
Responsibilities and Duties
The successful candidate will be site based and will report to the relevant Commercial Manager. You will be responsible for managing your own projects or packages of works dependant on the size and complexity of the projects you are working on.
Typical duties and responsibilities will include:
• Manage the commercial resources of the assigned project (or section) to maximise planned gross margin through the placement and control of contracts and subcontracts
• Provide commercial expertise to contracts, to include the production and submission of valuations, claims, budget monitoring, and contract/work stream performance data
• Assess, review and mitigate commercial and contractual risks and implement the company's policies for risk management
• Support the authorisation and submission of project variations. To authorise the placement of contracts, subcontracts, material and plant orders
• Maximise cash flow through the control, measurement (including quality) and valuation of work, and the invoicing of customers and payment of suppliers
• Value work executed by sub-contractors and certify interim and final payments.
• Management of junior members of staff.
Desired Skills and Experience
- You will have previous experience for a main or sub contractor working in the civils & infrastructure sector
- You must have previous experience of working autonomously on similar projects. Ideally managing your own project(s).
- A pro-active approach to Quantity Surveying and ability to manage costs effectively
Candidates should hold a formal qualification (ideally a Degree) in Quantity Surveying or other relevant subject
Employing Company Overview and Profile
The hiring company is an established and award winning National Main Contractor. They have just been included in the 2017 Times Top 100 Employers list, demonstrating their commitment to their staff. A large reason for their inclusion in this list was the overwhelming number of staff within the business who felt they made a strong contribution to the company's success. This position would suit a candidate who wants to make a real difference within the company and be rewarded and appreciated adequately for doing so.
The turnover of the business is circa £400m and the projects within the civils division can be valued into the tens of millions of GBP. If you would like to join a successful and growing business, working on exciting civils projects in the Midlands area, and really feel you can contribute to their success; this could be the ideal role for you.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
Basic Salary circa £45k - £60k
+ Company Car or Car Allowance
+ Employer Contribution Pension Scheme