Senior Structural Engineer Buildings
Construction careers don't get better than this exciting new opportunity for structural engineers. Our client, a major international civil and build contractor is looking to appoint a qualified and locally registered Senior Structural Engineer to join their building team and help deliver a landmark project on the new 3RS airport project in Hong Kong.
You will be based in the project office on the new airport project.
- Managing the structural design and the delivery of the project
- Project management tasks
- Monitoring & Reporting
Responsibilities and Duties
- Produces detailed designs and documentation for the implementation of the project
- Prepare calculations required for the design
- Prepare specifications, proposals, and other tender documentation
- Contribute to the development of the structures Team
- Establish and develop relationships with international clients in the local market
- Personal interest and training to stay abreast of structural design areas of interest for themselves and the strategic areas of practice
- Strong communication skills both written and spoken – ability to articulate complex information in a simple and clear manner
- Experience in dealing with local authorities in Hong Kong
- Informs seniors of progress, problems and submits work for review
- Clearly and interestingly presents project updates internally, supports in client presentations.
- Ensures the team performs QA/QC checks of project / package before presenting for review/releasing
- Strong understanding of building construction, codes and regulations, and obligations of engineer of record.
- Estimates resources required and matches personnel effectively with the task requirements. Ensures there is consistency among tasks, timing, cost and responsibilities
- Understands scope management and allocation across all project scales
- Has experience in procurement of technical consultants
- Has experience in or knowledge of contract review
- Experience and understanding in resource allocations for design phases across specific project types.
- Actively seeks professional development including leadership training internally and externally
- Organises internal training sessions for others to share knowledge, help develop skill levels and enhance understanding of construction
- Open to the contribution of others, encourages team members to speak up and contribute
- Interviews juniors, interns and technical personnel as requested and provides timely feedback on candidate suitability
- Completes the required actions / documents prior to reviews in a timely manner, attends review meetings
- Proactively demonstrate knowledge and skills acquired in the workplace
- Be an effective and efficient team leader, someone that the team can trust
- Possess a flexible working attitude (co-operative and agile) and work well within the team environment
- Accepts personal responsibility for maintaining studio culture and guides others. Escalates issues as required.
- Problem solving approach to team issues.
- Transparent and effective communication with project team, seniors and support staff.
- Professional, timely and positive communication with external parties including sub-consultants and client via various mediums.
- Participates in team activities and staff events and motivates their team to join in
- Respects office and team timing, and guides their team to do the same
- Contributes to the practices' posts to be put on social media, reads updates and shares publicly available posts and events
- Manages client expectations and demands, engages with client’s staff at the same level to articulate project design
- Effective client relations and relationship building
- Listens for and passes on client feedback to the team and senior management. Follows up the team to ensure client feedback is taken into consideration in the design.
- Leads other staff members to follow studio design and brand guidelines
- Respects client confidentiality and obtains management approval before sharing images and work they are working on
- Fills in and submits timesheets in a timely manner, and observes attendance procedures, approves team attendance as required.
- Manage the commercial aspects of projects. Fully conversant with the contract terms and conditions, scope and deliverables.
- Maintain close commercial control of the project and notify and update finance of when invoices can be raised
- Be aware that contract with client is signed before work commences. Help ensure that all sub-consultant contract documents are complete and signed.
- Ensure a project risk register is compiled, relevant and maintained.
- Be aware of client and sub-consultant invoices and when payments are made and received.
- Risk Management – participate in compilation of risk register and risk management plan for your project. Ensure that the risk register is reviewed regularly at team meetings and updated. Assist the associate / other seniors in updating and mitigating risks throughout the life of the project.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Min 10 years post graduate experience in buildings design
- Excellent communication skills in English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- A working knowledge of advanced software packages such as MIDAS, Strand7 and SPACE GASS or suitable equivalent
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Commercial management experience
- Proven experience managing stakeholders including client relations
- Proven experience in project / stage reporting
- Project stages – experience in delivering projects independently
- Industry Experience – in innovative practices locally or internationally or reputable local practices
- An enthusiasm for design and the built environment, innovative concepts and sustainability
- An ambitious personality, capable of achieving
- Agility – flexible, addresses obstacles and is pro-active in finding rapid solutions
- Able to lead teams
- Able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
Able to manage up as well as manage the team
- Effectively delegates tasks, responsibility and authority, and helps others to solve problems themselves
- Emotional resilience
- Leads by example
- Integrity – creates trust though honest and consistent behavior, keeps commitments
- Respectful of gender and cultural differences
- Encourages open and straightforward communication
- Open to other points of view
- Plans and conducts effective meetings
- Hands-on and proactive
- Clear communicator
- Can handle complexity
- Has good temperament and analytical mindset
- Degree educated – Bachelor’s Degree in Structural Engineering Masters is desirable.
- Preferably chartered MHKIE
- Registration with home country professional body
Employing Company Overview and Profile
Structural Design Engineer recruitment continues apace in Hong Kong! Our client is a major international buildings and civil engineering contractor with an ever increasing order book and a landmark project to deliver to Hong Kong.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
A competitive all inclusive salary package is available for the best available talent in the market place with a very attractive bonus scheme for high achievers!