Senior Tunnel Engineer
Senior Tunnel Engineer required to join a construction department on a large-scale civil engineering road project in Norway with major bridge and tunnel sections of work. Work Visa is provided by the employer.
The first and last flights will be reimbursed. Applicants with previous Nordic/ European experience are highly desirable.
One of the biggest ever civil engineering road construction projects in Norway has now been awarded under a PPP framework to a consortium of companies.
The project aims to improve commuting between Bergen and the island of Sotra on the West coast of Norway. It is by date the largest road infrastructure project in Norwegian history and one of the largest contracts awarded in Europe in 2021.
Expected to be under construction for the next 5 years, the project is currently mobilising and completing initial procurement activities.
The project itself is a 10km, four-lane road link that includes 22 bridges and viaducts, including one 900m long suspension bridge that will be 30m wide and over 100m high. There will be 12.5km of tunnels, made up of numerous tunnel portals and underpasses and two twin tunnels of almost 5km in length, as well as 14km of pedestrian and bicycle paths.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Ensure application of HSE rules related to own and subcontractor employees, with the goal of minimizing risks.
- Liase with technical, procurement, cost control, contract, HSE, permits departments to ensure the goals of the project are met.
- Drawing up activity plans in line with work schedule and contactual requirements.
- Dimensioning resources (manpower, equipment, material) for performing the project activities in timely and quality manner.
- Engage potential subcontractor companies and assess their technical capabilities and potential.
- Focus on, and facilitate good relations with the project partners.
- Assists the Construction Director with organisational tasks.
- Take care of personnel responsibilities for subordinate employees, including employee interviews
- Deal with conflicts within the department or escalate to the next level in case of a potential conflict of interests
- Participate in the prevention and follow up of sickness absence for the employees within the respective team
Desired Skills and Experience
- 8 years of experience in construction, on large scale infrastructure projects
- Previous working experience in Norway or Scandinavian countries preferred
- Experienced in the use of Microsoft Office 360
- Knowledge of building and construction
- Leadership qualities
- Time management skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Ability to problem-solve and use your initiative
- Ideal candidates will be Norwegian citizens or have access to Norwegian citizenship or right to work (Danish, Finnish, Swedish or Icelanders), or will be ‘EU/EEA national’ / European Citizens (Irish etc.).
- Intermediate knowledge of Norwegian language desired, but not essential
- A Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or a similar subject is preferred.
Employing Company Overview and Profile
The hiring company is a consortium of international construction companies.
Employment will be offered by the JV and may well be for up to the full 5 years anticipated project duration.
Given the location of the project, nice accommodation can be found around 30 minutes away, and there are full amenities, including leisure and skiing facilities within short travelling distance.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
Salary levels will be assessed and offered based on previous relevant experience and capability to undertake the above duties.
Good life and work balance