Tunnelling Project Director
Construction careers don't get better than this! Exciting long-term opportunity for Project Directors with experience in infrastructure design and delivery, particularly tunnelling, looking for a job in Hong Kong. Our client, one of the major Hong Kong contractors, is busy bidding, winning, and delivering major infrastructure projects and looking to appoint an experienced Tunnelling Project Director to join the team.
You’ll be based in our client’s Hong Kong office. You will initially provide critical input into major project tenders related to tunnelling and infrastructure projects across Hong Kong.
Responsibilities and Duties
- To provide leadership and input for the win strategy, preparation and submission of selected major tunnelling bids carried out in close collaboration with the technical, planning and estimation teams as well as joint venture partners and third parties where applicable.
- Responsible for ensuring that all functions for the tender complies with the client’s corporate governance requirements, win strategy and the requirements of the conditions of tender, with the objective of providing client satisfaction, safe and economical construction operations and maximizing competitiveness and profitability for the client.
- Holds full accountability to lead, plan and manage the safe delivery of all aspects of the project ensuring it is within budget, on time and to the required quality standards.
- Manage project stakeholder relationships, including client, joint venture partners, consultants and supply chain.
- Maintain the company's branding and reputation.
Areas of Accountabilities
- Support the company in the pursuit of TBM tunnelling project opportunities.
- Manage the tunnelling bid team including the coordination of internal departments and external resources and ensure the tender preparation and submission meets the tender conditions and timelines for both the company, joint venture partners and client.
- Assist in identification and implementation of the tender win strategy and the identification of both internal and external resources in order to develop and submit a competitive tender.
- Coordinate with the bid team to identify key supply chain partners and engage with the supply chain to help identify innovative solutions including new products, methodologies and technologies that may be considered to provide the company with a competitive advantage.
- Lead the construction methodology, planning, resourcing; staff, plant and equipment and design as applicable, including value engineering options that can provide a competitive advantage.
- Manage engineering and technical aspects of design and construction bids to ensure optimal solutions that meet client requirements.
- Evaluate new products, methodologies, technologies that exist in the market which can provide the company a competitive advantage.
- Lead workshops to identify risks and opportunities and strategies to mitigate and or convert as applicable. Ensure key risks that do not comply with business requirements are identified early and there is an agreed and approved mitigation management plan in place ahead of submission.
- Ensure that the company's requirements for the preparation, approvals and submission of the tender are complied with.
- Regularly meet with the bid team, consultants and partners to ensure deliverables are being achieved and to maintain key relationships. Attend client tender briefing meetings and post tender clarifications.
- Hold full accountability to lead, plan and safely deliver the project in accordance with the contract and business objectives.
- To develop and manage appropriate resources people, equipment and supply chain, in order to procure and deliver the project.
- To establish and maintain the health, safety & environmental aspects of the project to contract and company standards.
- To manage the relationship with client and other key stakeholders in order to foster a positive image and potential repeat business.
- To foster an environment that provides opportunities and enables development, progression and succession of project staff.
- Establishment, monitoring and updating of all project plans, budgets, programs and resource requirements and provide reporting in accordance with the contract and company's requirements.
Desired Skills and Experience
- 10-15 years of relevant working experience in a construction company as a Project Leader for TBM tunnel projects.
- Relevant experience leading tunnelling bids, two stage tender process including early contractor involvement.
- Experience working with key project stakeholders in a collaborative contracting environment.
- NEC4 Contract experience
- Strategic thinking and performance driven. Good leadership and communication skills. Competent in decision making and developing others. Has experience in change management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or similar
- Member of Professional Association is an advantage
Employing Company Overview and Profile
Our client is a major Hong Kong civil infrastructure contractor with offices across Asia. They’ve completed numerous civil engineering and building construction projects regionally. They are looking to strengthen their core team in Hong Kong and can offer an exciting and stable construction career path and seeking a long-term commitment in return.