Assistant Quantity Surveyor
An Assistant QS is required to work for a specialist ceilings & partitions sub-contractor who are part of one of the largest construction Groups in the UK. The company's office is based in Buckinghamshire, and the successful candidate will work on projects largely in the Northern Home Counties and Central London.
The company typically perform work as a sub-contractor to some of the largest main contractors in the UK construction market. The majority of their work is based in the South East, London and the Home Counties. Projects typically range from circa £500k - £3m in value and include residential and educational developments as well as Care Homes and specialist projects such as airports.
Responsibilities and Duties
The job responsibilities and the position to whom the job holder reports may vary from time to time. As a consequence the job responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to, any or all of the following items as required SUPPORTED BY Senior QS and/or Project/Site Management:
- Attend tender handover meetings on secured projects and taking responsibility for all relevant cost information
- Form contract budgets from tender calculating total profit/loss forecasts
- Monthly budget monitoring updating budget for work in progress
- Provide accurate interim cost and value reconciliation and monitoring cashflows for projects
- Preparation and agreement of Interim Applications for Payment and Final Accounts, including all aspects of measurement
- Preparation, negotiation and agreement on Prolongation and other building claims, with support from Commercial Manager
- Procurement of subcontractors, including obtaining agreement on rates, measurements and placing subcontract orders
- Preparation and compilation of subcontract documentation with appropriate orders for approval by Senior QS
- Implement strict subcontract payment controls, evaluating contract works, variations, materials, contr charges and claims
- Recording confirmed verbal instructions that have a cost and/or time effect and ensure their recovery
- Miscellaneous procedures, including notices to subcontractors for payment, general correspondence and office administration
- Ensure proper record keeping of site progress, with photographs, written records, marked–up drawings and collection of data together with ensuring compliance with Company procedures
Desired Skills and Experience
- Candidates will ideally have some experience as a Trainee or Assistant Quantity Surveyor. This could either be whilst studying or post qualification.
- Candidates with a qualification in Quantity Surveying but no previous Quantity Surveying experience will be considered
- Candidates must have a high level of numeracy and English (Both Written and Verbal)
- Candidates should possess strong organisational and planning skills
- Candidates will either hold a Degree in Quantity Surveying (or similar equivalent) OR be working towards a Degree in Quantity Surveying
Employing Company Overview and Profile
The hiring company are a specialist sub-contractor specialising in ceilings, partitions and dry lining. They are part of one of the largest construction groups in the UK and as an individual business they turnover circa £14m per annum.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
Circa £17,500 - £30,000 p/a (DOE) + Benefits (Potential for University fees to be paid or subsidised if still studying)