Assistant Quantity Surveyor
An Assistant Quantity Surveyor capable of providing commercial support to Senior Surveyors on project in the region of £10m - £30m is required to work for a leading national main contractor operating in the South of the UK. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work for a top 20 main contractor and have the opportunity to gain experience supporting senior Surveyor's on exciting new build and refurbishment projects in the region of £10m - £30m. As a leading main contractor you will learn about leading processes and systems that will be a great assistance in your career development long term.
Projects will be new build or refurbishment projects in the built environment. The hiring company are particularly strong in the commercial and education sectors, although their work is generally more diverse than this. Projects will range from £10m - £30m and typically be located in the West of London and along the M3 & M4 Corridors. Locations include (but are not limited to) Berkshire, Surrey, Hampshire and Oxfordshire. The companies office is based near Reading, Berkshire. The role would ideally suit candidates living in one of the aforementioned counties, however candidates living in nearby counties such as Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire Wiltshire or even parts Gloucestershire, Dorset and Somerset may be suitable.
Responsibilities and Duties
As Assistant Quantity Surveyor, you will assist the Senior Surveyors in their day to day commercial tasks whilst taking responsibility for specific sections of the larger projects. You will be expected to assist in a selection of the below duties:
- Reviewing design, contract and cost plan allowances
- Generally attending and contributing to Design team meetings
- Attending and contributing to client project meetings
- Take off BQ's from drawings and specifications (from groundwork's through to finishes)
- Preparing and sending out tender packages
- Negotiating orders with trades and putting together subcontract orders
- Carrying out site measures and valuations against subcontractor applications
- Preparing client applications and variation accounts
- Preparing and maintaining the procurement schedule and warranty tracker
- Managing and supporting any junior staff (where applicable)
- Preparing the monthly Cost Value Reconciliation report to agree with Commercial Manager
Desired Skills and Experience
- Candidates will have previous experience working as a QS for a reputable main contractor or sub contractor
- Candidates will ideally have some exposure to projects in the commercial or education sector, however similar project experience will be considered
- A well rounded knowledge of Quantity Surveying duties on larger projects is desired
- Confident, bright and with a solid work ethic
- Excellent communications skills including written and verbal English
A Degree qualification in Quantity Surveying or a similar equivalent subject is desired
Employing Company Overview and Profile
The hiring company are a leading national main contractor operating in the built environment. Their local office is based near Reading, Berkshire. They employ in excess of 1,400 as a group and pride themselves on the career development scheme within the business. As an employer they can offer successful candidates exciting projects, career support & developments as well as a competitive financial package.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
Salary will be dependent on experience, however will be in the range of £38k - £53k.
Plus benefits including:
- Car or Allowance
- 25 Days Holiday + Bank Holidays (Increases with length of service)
- Travel & Parking expenses where applicable