Assistant Quantity Surveyor
Assistant Quantity Surveyor / Estimator / Assistant Project Manager job role with a property developer, with an office based in Bedfordshire to work on residential projects UK-wide.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a unique employer who is one of the largest private owners of residential property in the UK and work largely in property development.
Pre-construction Estimator will have a good understanding of construction estimating methodologies and techniques. Candidates that have worked in a similar position in the residential environment will be of particular interest.
This role will incorporate aspects of estimating, pre-contract quantity surveying and project management, so it gives a great exposure to take your career to the next level.
The Assistant Quantity Surveyor/ Estimator role is to perform budget and cashflow formation by comparing various options relating to the refurbishment and disposal of residential property.
The employer is a developer who operates in the construction, regeneration, and refurbishment or homes UK nationwide.
Working as an Assistant Estimator / Assistant Quantity Surveyor you will be part of the Project Management team, you will report directly to the Head of Project Management within the organisation.
This is an office-based role, with flexibility to work from home few times a week and site visits.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Quantify & cost plan build costs from limited information to support initial project appraisals
- Appraise land and infill opportunities to deliver fully costed viability studies
- Working closely with the Design Team to identify risk and ensure adequate provision is made with budget assessments
- Working closely with the Sales Team to ensure that the appropriate costs are included within budgets reflecting the desired specification
- Analyse & vet subcontract tender returns
- Formation of Final Project Budget, ensuring that tendered costs are interpreted and included where possible and that adequate provision is made where tendered costs are not available
- Have a thorough understanding of project, scope of works and restrictions imposed by contractual requirements and site conditions
- Giving guidance on possible risks and openings within a scheme
- Researching the cost of items such as materials, transport, labour and equipment.
- Responsible for the administration, application and updating of the Term Contract Schedule of Rates
- Cost base maintenance and updates
- Be present at pre-tender meetings and carry out site surveys
- Establish opportunities/scope to maximise value
- Assist in the management and preparation of all required specification and contractual documentation for tendering/negotiation of the refurbishment works
Desired Skills and Experience
- 2-4 years’ experience as an Assistant Estimator, Assistant Project Manager, Assistant Quantity Surveyor or similar in the construction industry, preferably within the residential sector
- Understanding and ability to take of quantities from technical drawings and form a concise budget
- Ability to price from first principles
- Competency in assessing contract documents and contract requirements
- Proficiency with numbers and capability to manipulate mathematical data
- Good communication and negotiation skills
- Organised and methodical approach to work
- IT skills, with a high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Qualification to Degree level in Quantity Surveying, Cost Management or other construction related field would be beneficial, but not essential
Employing Company Overview and Profile
This employer is a leading and highly experienced developer and owner of privately rented housing in the UK. Their portfolio of homes extends to over 40,000 units and ranges from one-bedroom apartments to large family homes.
They offer employees a dynamic working environment, generous salaries and good career progression.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
- Generous salary up to £40k negotiable based on experience.
- Company car + fuel card
- Private Healthcare
- Life assurance
- 25 days holiday allowance + bank holidays