We are working with a top-tier UK based civil engineering and rail contractor, to recruit a Quantity Surveyor on their JV High Speed 2 (HS2) construction project in London.
This exciting Quantity Surveyor job will have responsibility to ensure that all commercial aspects are carried out in accordance with the contract in relation to major civil engineering and tunnelling projects.
This Quantity Surveying role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network.
This QS employer is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts for Tunnels & Approaches in the London area. The scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), sprayed concrete lining (SCL) tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
The Quantity Surveyor job role will be to take responsibility for providing accurate and value generating input to projects. This QS job role will be to ensure that all commercial aspects are carried out in accordance with the contract, company policies and procedures, and to the satisfaction of the customer and/or contract leader. In this Quantity Surveying job role, you will work under the direction of and report to the Senior Quantity Surveyor.
Responsibilities and Duties
The Quantity Surveyor duties and responsibilities will include:
- Efficient and effective management leading to the issuing of accurate, timely and compliant notices and correspondence
- Preparation or assessment of applications, valuations, cost/value reconciliation.
- Cost control and forecasting. Prepare and provide input to monthly reports: value, cost, profit/loss, cash flow and budget.
- Preparation and agreement of applications for payment or the assessment & preparation of payment certificates.
- Assisting with Risk and Value Management to optimise solution. Monitor and regularly review with the project team. Identifying, analysing and developing responses to commercial risks.
- Contract Management, including all relevant contractual forms, methods of budgetary control and relevant software applications.
- Prepare supply chain enquiries, negotiate, administer and finalise / close out supply chain contracts.
- Ensure all notifications/documents are managed in accordance with the contract, and company policy.
- Ongoing liaison with site team, subcontractors and Customers’ representatives
Desired Skills and Experience
- At least 3 years’ experience as a Quantity Surveyor on civil engineering projects
- Previous tunnelling experience is desired
- Demonstrable financial and commercial acumen
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- A creative and innovative approach to problem-solving
- Experience of setting up and/or operating office management systems including filing systems and document control and distribution
- Experience of technical minute taking at contractual meetings and able to demonstrate the ability to collate information and prepare reports
- Experience of drafting contractual correspondence on behalf of the Project Manager and preparation of payment certificates and interim financial reports
- Experience of contributing to procurement and contract strategies
- Negotiating and team-working skills and the ability to motivate and lead
- Strong analytical skills
- Demonstrable legal, contractual and construction knowledge
RICS/CICES accredited degree or enrolled on an accredited part-time post-graduate degree
Chartered status with the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) or Institute of Civil Engineering Surveyors (CICES) is desirable or working towards approved training scheme for membership / full Chartered status
Employing Company Overview and Profile
The successful Quantity Surveyor candidate will join an established main contractor on the iconic HS2 project. This leading joint venture consortium JV is delivering a major portion of the tunneling across London for High Speed 2 (HS2).
The value of the project is around £2billion with the works due for completion in around 2025.
This employer encourages flexible working.
Professional development, such as subsidised further study, or payment of professional membership fees are available for suitable candidates.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
Attractive salary and benefits package available to the successful Quantity Surveyor candidate