Senior Project Manager
Construction careers don't get better than this exciting new opportunity for Architects. Our client, a boutique multi award winning progressive architectural practice is looking to appoint a top calibre Senior Project Manager to join their team and take on a leadership role across multiple projects.
- The Project Manager role is fulfilled when an experienced Lead Architect or Project Manager independently runs projects management tasks regardless of size.
- The role takes on more project management responsibilities such as project planning, scheduling, stakeholder management, project control, cost management, procurement, risk management, mitigation and reporting.
- Managing the planning and delivery of projects
- Project management tasks
- Monitoring & Reporting
Responsibilities and Duties
- Personal interest and training to stay abreast of project management areas of interest for themselves and the strategic areas of practice
- Capability to review and validate scopes and deliverables as per RIBA / AIA standards for projects
- Strong communication skills both written and spoken – ability to articulate complex information in a simple and clear manner
- Sound knowledge of scheduling in MS Project & Prime Vera preferred
- Knowledge or Program Management will be extremely beneficial
- Experience in dealing with local authorities in the UAE
- Sound knowledge of project management tasks as per the international standards of PMI or AXELOS
- Carries out such other duties which are consistent with the nature and responsibilities of the role
- Informs seniors of progress, problems and submits work for review
- Clearly and interestingly presents project updates internally, supports in client presentations.
- Assigns and delivers within project deadlines with occasional guidance
- Uses the company file naming and information filing standards and follow quality standards in overall work. Reviews and challenges information received from sub-consultants and third parties to ensure quality compliance. Maintains an updated and accurate project plan.
- Ensures the team performs QA/QC checks of project / package before presenting for review/releasing
- Strong understanding of building construction, codes and regulations, and obligations of architect of record.
- Estimates resources required and matches personnel effectively with the task requirements. Ensures there is consistency among tasks, timing, cost and responsibilities
- Clearly detailed knowledge of AIA/RIBA stages and deliverables
- Understands scope management and allocation across all project scales
- Has experience in procurement of technical consultants
- Has experience in or knowledge of contract review
- Experience and understanding in resource allocations for design phases across specific project types.
- Actively seeks professional development including leadership training internally and externally
- Organises internal training sessions for others to share knowledge, help develop skill levels and enhance understanding of construction
- Open to the contribution of others, encourages team members to speak up and contribute
- Interviews juniors, interns and technical personnel as requested and provides timely feedback on candidate suitability
- Completes the required actions / documents prior to reviews in a timely manner, attends review meetings
- Proactively demonstrate knowledge and skills acquired in the workplace
- Be an effective and efficient team leader, someone that the team can trust
- Possess a flexible working attitude (co-operative and agile) and work well within the team environment
- Accepts personal responsibility for maintaining studio culture and guides others. Escalates issues as required.
- Problem solving approach to team issues.
- Transparent and effective communication with project team, seniors and support staff.
- Professional, timely and positive communication with external parties including sub-consultants and client via various mediums.
- Participates in team activities and staff events and motivates their team to join in
- Champions the importance of the studio setting and guides their team to minimize their environmental impact while working by considering before printing, keeps office temperature maintained at the recommended degree, lights and electronic equipment turned off when not in use
- Updates HR with documents as requested and in a timely manner. Takes responsibility for the validity of own documents including visa. Ensures all resource arrangements are informed and agreed with HR before proceeding. Has an awareness of UAE work regulations.
- Interested in own and team health and well-being, contributes to office initiatives. Is aware of correct posture, managing eyes with computers/devices and stress management techniques and leads by example.
- Respects office and team timing, and guides their team to do the same
- Contributes to the practices' posts to be put on social media, reads updates and shares publicly available posts and events
- Manages client expectations and demands, engages with client’s staff at the same level to articulate project design
- Effective client relations and relationship building
- Listens for and passes on client feedback to the team and senior management. Follows up the team to ensure client feedback is taken into consideration in the design.
- Leads other staff members to follow studio design and brand guidelines
- Respects client confidentiality and obtains management approval before sharing images and work they are working on
- Fills in and submits timesheets in a timely manner, and observes attendance procedures, approves team attendance as required.
- Manage the commercial aspects of projects. Fully conversant with the contract terms and conditions, scope and deliverables.
- Maintain close commercial control of the project and notify and update finance of when invoices can be raised
- Be aware that contract with client is signed before work commences. Help ensure that all sub-consultant contract documents are complete and signed.
- Ensure a project risk register is compiled, relevant and maintained.
- Be aware of client and sub-consultant invoices and when payments are made and received.
- Risk Management – participate in compilation of risk register and risk management plan for your project. Ensure that the risk register is reviewed regularly at team meetings and updated. Assist the associate / other seniors in updating and mitigating risks throughout the life of the project.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Min 10 years post graduate experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Solid software skills – MS Project required; Primavera will be additionally beneficial;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Previous experience in an office environment managing multiple projects
- Commercial management experience
- Proven experience managing stakeholders including client relations
- Proven experience in project / stage reporting
- Project stages – experience in delivering projects independently
- Industry Experience – in innovative practices locally or internationally or reputable local practices
- An enthusiasm for design and the built environment, innovative concepts and sustainability
- An ambitious personality, capable of achieving
- Agility – flexible, addresses obstacles and is pro-active in finding rapid solutions
- Able to lead teams
- Able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
Able to manage up as well as manage the team
- Effectively delegates tasks, responsibility and authority, and helps others to solve problems themselves
- Emotional resilience
- Leads by example
- Integrity – creates trust though honest and consistent behaviour, keeps commitments
- Respectful of gender and cultural differences
- Encourages open and straightforward communication
- Open to other points of view
- Plans and conducts effective meetings
- Hands-on and proactive
- Clear communicator
- Can handle complexity
- Has good temperament and analytical mindset
- Degree educated – Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture – Masters desirable.
- Certified in PMP or PRINCE2
- Certification in PgMP or MSP preferred
- Member of UAE Society Engineers & AIA and PMI.
- Registration with home country professional body
Employing Company Overview and Profile
Project management recruitment continues apace in the UAE! Our client is a multi-award-winning progressive boutique architectural practice which operates a critical design approach producing projects that are culturally robust, environmentally friendly and place sensitive.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
A competitive all inclusive salary package is available for the best available talent in the market place with a very attractive bonus scheme for high achievers!