Client Construction Manager Renewable Energy Projects
A prestigious new opportunity in Hong Kong for anyone who wants to elevate their career path to the next level.
Our client, a fast-growing highly regarded global energy business is looking to appoint an experienced Principle Manager Construction for their Hong Kong and APAC operation.
If you’re looking for career move with a highly reputed global employer, head-quartered in Hong Kong, this could be the job for you?
Reporting to the Director - Project Engineering & Construction, our client is looking for a passionate and high calibre professional to join the Project Management Office team in Projects & Operations.
Working with the Project Engineering and Construction team, the appointee will be responsible for providing engineering, construction and technical support and governance for renewable energy projects throughout the APAC region with a focus on China.
The successful candidate will be required to provide strong technical guidance and leadership across our client's Projects & Operations team and Regional Business Units.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide advice, technical solutions and hands-on support to construction teams.
- Assist Project Teams with development and implementation of execution plans, defining the key principles, strategies, methodologies and processes to ensure compliance with the project contracts and client standards.
- Develop and maintain a set of Construction Standards to cover civil, electrical, instrumentation & control, and mechanical works including heavy lifts, welding, steel erection, tunneling
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with Project Teams, consultants, contractors, and service providers to ensure Project Teams are fully supported in construction activities.
- Help construction teams to ensure the quality of work and construction activities, safety, operation and maintainability and sequence of work are in compliance with project plans and contract and regulatory requirements. Identify potential schedule conflicts and opportunities for optimisation.
- Work in conjunction with Project Teams, Quality, and Commercial & Supply Chain Management to qualify contractors and suppliers, evaluate tenders and take part in subsequent facility inspections.
- Assist the Project Teams with any potential issue, including claims management, as early as possible, seeking constructive solutions in close co-operation with the contractor and other stakeholders.
- With support of Regulatory Specialist, provide guidance to the Project Teams on local regulatory issues in Hong Kong, the Greater Bay Area, and mainland China. Assist the projects to set-up regulatory compliance plans and tracking registers. Participate in meetings with regulators to assist Project Teams to obtain regulatory approval and maintain compliance.
- Active support in the preparation and review of project management documentation under the Project Management Governance System, to allow projects to move efficiently through checkpoints.
- With support from team members, responsible for preparation of memos outlining acceptability of proposed projects for client's Investment Committee.
- Working closely with the China BU, support setting up of construction teams and recruiting staff.
- Work closely with PMO’s Risk, Quality and Project Controls teams to ensure all aspects of project planning and execution are consistent and in line with best practice.
- Support and influence other P&O teams to ensure smooth transition of projects through the project lifecycle.
- Provide guidance and training on Construction via the Project Management Academy and prepare procedures, guidelines, handbooks, and toolkits to assist projects.
- Champion change management to embed new systems and ways of working to deliver synergies in construction processes with a view to achieving stronger results with fewer resources.
Desired Skills and Experience
- At least 10 years’ experience in project management including significant construction management.
- On-site construction experience of at least 3 renewable energy, transmission, or conventional power projects.
- Knowledge of international standards and regulatory requirements as well as requirements in China and Hong Kong would be beneficial.
- Familiar with equipment, components and installation processes of wind, solar, energy storage and transmission facilities.
- Enthusiasm to travel to construction sites, often in remote locations.
- Fluent in spoken and written English, and capability in both spoken and written Chinese; Putonghua and simplified Chinese, are advantageous.
- Less experienced candidates would be considered for the position of Senior Manager – Project Engineering.
- A recognized university degree in engineering or equivalent.
- Professional Engineer, Chartered Engineer or equivalent is preferable.
Employing Company Overview and Profile
Our client is a major energy business in Hong Kong. It is one of the most exciting construction, engineering and operating energy companies in Hong Kong. Their main goal is to offer innovative and sustainable services to their clients globally. If you’re looking for a new challenging opportunity in the construction and energy sector and a dynamic fast-growing company with a lot of career options, this could be the right fit for you.