An exciting Environmental Manager opportunity to work on the HS2 project providing the primary source of Environmental expertise to support the construction and handover phase of the project. This environmental manager role has the possibility of flexible working.
As Environmental Manager you would be working on HS2 the UK’s new high-speed rail network which is believed will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain. In this position, you would be helping to deliver the HS2 main civils contracts which include both Lots S1 and S2.
The value of the contracts combined is around £3.8 billion with the works due for completion in 2025. These works include twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Must understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners’ Environment and Sustainability Policies and Processes as well as the statutory requirements that affect the contract’s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable in their discipline, are implemented on the project
- To provide operational and functional management advice to the design and construction team on the practical implementation of contract policies and processes
- To provide specialist support to the commercial team for any scop changes, early warnings or other formal communications required with the client on environmental matters
- To drive awareness about the contract’s targets and the delivery against them, particularly reducing carbon and aiming to achieve no net loss in biodiversity and CEEQUAL excellent rating
- To provide advice and guidance, and where necessary assist with obtaining legal consents, licenses and exemptions while maintaining good working relationships with external stakeholders
- To ensure all works are in line with the Environmental Management System, certified to ISO 14001:2015, ensuring it remains appropriate to all contract risks and collect data, monitor and report performance against targets while driving innovation as well as continuous improvement throughout the contract team
- To develop and manage a program of inspections and audits, including targeted risk monitoring both on-site and within the supply chain
- To assist with any external audits, parent company, client, and certification bodies
Desired Skills and Experience
- Must have experience in environmental management in the construction industry, ideally large infrastructure projects in rail, highways or tunnelling
- Must have excellent communication, organisation and time management skills
- Must be able to successfully line manage and provide leadership and initiative
- Must have project management and commercial awareness skills
- Should demonstrate a passion for the Environment and sustainability which in return drives innovation
- Chartered Environmentalist, Full Member of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) or equivalent and lead auditor qualifications
Employing Company Overview and Profile
Construction careers don't get better than this! The successful Environmental Manager candidate will join an established main contractor on the iconic HS2 project. This leading joint venture consortium JV is delivering a major portion of the tunnelling across London for High Speed 2 (HS2). The value of the project is around £2billion with the works due for completion in around 2025.
This employer encourages flexible working. Professional development, such as subsidised further study, or payment of professional membership fees are available for suitable candidates.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
- £5900 car allowance
- Annual travel card
- Additional benefits.