An Estimator or Cost Estimating construction professional with Canadian PR, Citizenship or transferable work permit in Canada is urgently needed to join a growing construction engineering consultancy team based in the Lower Mainland area of Vancouver.
You will be employed to prepare estimates on major highway, bridge, transportation, rail and transit projects ranging in size from $20m to multi-Billion dollar major projects.
As Estimator, you will both support the Senior Estimator on large projects, and work independently on your own estimating work on smaller sized projects.
You will work closely with colleagues in the estimating team and will provide cost and estimating support to the other business units.
Suitable Estimators will have estimating experience but will be ambitious and looking for fast track training and development and be seeking an ambitious career path.
Suitable Estimating candidates will be located in Vancouver / the Lower Mainland and will work both from home and be based in the downtown Vancouver office as required; probably for 2-4 days a week.
Your Estimator and Cost Estimating role will be to work on a number of civil engineering infrastructure and rail and transit projects to be constructed in Canada.
Responsibilities and Duties
The Cost Estimator job will have core duties that include the following; training can be provided in some areas if not all duties have previously been undertaken fully:
- Cost estimating and pricing of projects from the ground up using Labour, Equipment and Materials supported by a construction schedule and constructability plan.
- Advising clients on budgets and in due course helping them to manage their cost management systems.
- Working as an integral part of a team comprising designers, planners and specialist advisors.
- Undertaking commercial management duties
- Undertaking live client interface responsibilities
- Able to work successfully in a team environment as well as independently
- Understand, identify and evaluate project risks for inclusion in the project budget
- Cost projects from drawings at different stages of design from preliminary through conceptual to IFC drawings, using real world construction experience rather than a purely theoretical approach
- Able to review tender documents, geotechnical reports and construction drawings and be able to predict future project duration to establish robust project budgets
- Able to understand and use HSS, HeavyBid, Bid2Win or other comparable construction industry pricing software
This Cost Estimator job role requires an ambitious, proactive and cerebral candidate that is seeking to make an impact on the outcome of projects from their first concept through design, procurement and construction.
Desired Skills and Experience
- It is expected that suitable candidates will have had around 3 years of good quality estimating experience as a part of their wider job duties. Candidates with up to 8 years of estimating experience will also be suitable for a role at this level.
- Preference is for estimating experience that has been gained from civil infrastructure/transportation projects, and rail and trackwork and/or electrical systems projects or transferrable experience from power, oil & gas or major building
- Experience gained within construction contracting is preferred, ideally on projects of between $20m-$200m + in value. Cost Consulting/PQS estimating experience is also of interest for candidates that also understand issues relating buildability
- Experience of advising clients on budgets and managing cost control systems is highly desirable
- Experience of working in Canada on civil engineering infrastructure, major building or rail / transit projects is desirable although good quality international experience is also acceptable
- Commercial management experience would be beneficial
- Client interface experience and capability is important
- Experienced of working in a team environment with the confidence to self manage on a daily basis with support from your line manager or senior management.
- Demonstrable understanding of identifying, managing and evaluating project risks is essential.
- Hands on experience of using HSS, HeavyBid, Bid2Win or other comparable construction sector pricing software is expected
- Previous construction project estimating experience needs to demonstrate most / many of the above capabilities and Estimator candidates should be able to evidence a proactive and innovative approach to the estimating and project costing process.
- A demonstrable passion is needed that will ensure that cost systems are set up appropriately to be able to allow costs to be managed throughout the construction process to successful project completion.
- A professional qualification in construction is highly desirable although hands on cost estimating and commercial management experience is most critical.
- Canadian Citizenship or the current right to work in Canada is an ESSENTIAL criteria for consideration for this role.
- Current location and experience of Vancouver / British Columbia construction and ideally civil engineering infrastructure projects is highly desirable
Employing Company Overview and Profile
This civil engineering employer is a highly regarded project delivery, engineering, risk management and project management consultancy based in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
With a focus on civil engineering infrastructure projects, they have built an excellent reputation in Vancouver and British Columbia and have a forward order book of confirmed work on a range of infrastructure, transportation, civil engineering, and rail projects in the Vancouver and British Columbia region.
They have an enviable reputation for successful delivery of complex infrastructure projects to tight timelines and budgets
A full client employer profile will be provided to applicants shortlisted for interview.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
- Generous salary based on candidate experience
- Annual Bonus
- 4 weeks vacation in addition to statutory holidays
- Full healthcare package