Project Manager PMO
An experienced PMO (Project Management Office) Project Manager PMO is required to join a leading construction and infrastructure client-side team in Toronto, Ontario to oversee the development of construction project management standards and procedures.
This PMO Project Management job role based in Toronto will have a focus on commercial and contract management processes, vendor management, governance, and the stage gate management processes relating to major project processes and procedures.
Reporting to an Associate Director, Project Management Office this PMO Project Management Office position job role will have accountabilities that fall under the following categories:
1. Vendor management
2. PMO framework & project management lifecycle updates
3. Stage gating of projects
5. Setting up of standards
In this Project Manager PMO role you will take responsibility for overseeing the development of capital construction project management practices, project controls, performance management, governance standards, process, policies, documentation and reporting standards. Key accountabilities fall under the broad categories of Planning, Reporting and Measurement, Continuous Improvement, and Training and Development although your focus will be on commercial and contract management processes throughout the project construction lifecycle.
Responsibilities and Duties
In this management role, the PMO Project Manager will be tasked to:
- Vendor management
- PMO framework & project management lifecycle updates
- Stage gating of projects
- Setting up of standards
- Take a specialist focus on project controls work, reporting and the development and use of business analytics tools that will improve organisational commercial and contract management processes
- Support of development of capital plans and to support efficient project delivery
- To develop, update and maintain reports and tools to support assessment of goals and objectives, performance measures and metrics
- To establish standardized methodology for compiled and reported information to management by using dashboards, metrics, and technology platforms
- Track the status of all capital projects (budget, scope and schedule)
- Ensure consistent project delivery processes and methodology between projects managed by internal resources and those delivered by third party service providers
- Develop, update and revise policies, standards, and guidelines to ensure efficiency in planning, design and construction
- Establish design and construction project management standards, monitor effectiveness and perform regular assessments of projects to ensure compliance
- Develop, update and maintain process flows, playbooks, quick reference guides and templates to support project delivery
- Develop, communicate and drive implementation of process changes initiatives and improvements
Desired Skills and Experience
PMO Project Manager candidates should have a strong construction industry knowledge of project monitoring systems including scheduling, cost and change control and also project controls (pure IT or other PMO experience is not suitable for this construction PMO job role)
Previous experience in a PMO capacity working on commercial and contract management processes is essential
- Knowledge of Power BI, Tableau or Microstrategy software is expected
- Previous experience in a PMO Project Manager job role working on complex projects within oil & gas, infrastructure, aviation, civil engineering or building construction of CAD$50m++ is required
- Demonstrable analytical skills in assessing and reviewing business processes to identify options, best practices and opportunities to improve service delivery
- Demonstrated ability to prepare process documents, policies and project documents (e.g. business case, feasibility study, budget estimates, etc).
- Knowledge of design and construction
- Knowledge of consultant and construction related procurement practices and procedures
- Knowledge of related government legislation in the areas of construction, fire codes, building codes, occupational health and safety regulations, etc.
- High degree of initiative and creativity
- Exceptional personal drive and motivation Strong facilitation and negotiation skills Ability to meet tight deadlines and manage multiple tasks and projects
- Problem solving skills to identify, analyze and resolve issues
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to establish, foster and maintain relationships with clients, co-workers and others
- Proficient in the Microsoft Suite of Office Products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project Management software in particular Power BI, Tableau or Microstrategy software
A post-secondary construction industry degree (or equivalent) is desired in architecture, engineering, project management, business or a related field or an acceptable combination of education, training, and/or experience
Project management certification PMP or comparable accreditation would be an asset.
Previous experience for around 8 years in managing design and construction projects involving multiple stakeholders is desired
Experience in design and construction project management process assessment, review and performance reporting preferred
5 years of experience in People Management (direct report or cross-functional) & able to demonstrate experience working in a customer centric environment
Must be able to obtain and retain Canadian Transportation Security Clearance at the designated level for the position
Employing Company Overview and Profile
A major client-side employer, this specialist organisation based in Toronto, Ontario offers a fantastic portfolio of live and pipeline projects. They value and reward specialist project management skills and are looking to build up their middle and senior management construction Project Management Office (PMO) team. Full details will be given to shortlisted applicants.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
- Basic Salary of up to around CAD$120,000 based on experience
- Bonus/Incentive Plan worth around 15% of salary
- Various additional incentives and benefits