A fantastic opportunity for an early career Claims or Quantum Consultant to join a Sydney, Australia based small privately owned specialist provider of independent expert evidence, claims management, and dispute resolution services to the building, construction and engineering industries.
Exciting career opportunity for a Quantum Consultant to work with a specialist provider of independent expert evidence, claims management, and dispute resolution services to the building, construction and engineering industries. This premium independent employer has extensive experience in solving complex claims and dispute matters and can offer dynamic solutions to clients for resolution of their specific project needs.
Active repeat clients include major builders and large infrastructure contractors who undertake complex projects. Services have been provided to these organisations on a variety of project types, from small apartment block refurbishments to major commercial towers, road construction, bridge and tunnel infrastructure, and renewable assets. This allows team exposure to a wide variety of interesting projects, claims, and contract types.
Examples of live and recent clients, projects and scope of work:
- Major Sydney rail project dispute assignment work (AUS$700m+)
- Major tunnel rail project dispute work
- Hospital and major building construction and renovation dispute work (AUS$300m+)
The company has been engaged by a Head Contractor to provide commercial advisory services on a high-risk project under onerous contract conditions
Within the Commercial Advisory area of business, the company has provided ongoing assistance with advice regarding claims strategy, and assisted with the preparation of EOT claims, complex claim submissions and contract correspondence.
Within the area of Claims Management they have been engaged to identify and prepare claims on a complex Federal Government project for a major Defence services subcontractor. They have produced a wide variety of contractual claims, including newly identified entitlements under the Contract, to assist their client in recovering significant losses in both cost and time.
Within Dispute Resolution they have been engaged by a major civil subcontractor to assess the impacts of COVID-19 on the performance of the Works relating to project delay and disruption to labour productivity. They produced an independent delay and disruption report assessing the effects and impacts of COVID-19 on the clients works and the project and undertook a forensic review of project records to demonstrate causation between COVID-19 and specific project delays, including its disruptive effects. Using a combined project comparison and measured mile analysis, they identified and quantified discrete delay events and the cumulative impact of multiple delays and their consequential disruption to progress of the Works. Based on the results of the disruption analysis to determine the extent of project delay, they were able to quantify losses in trade labour productivity and tie it directly to the effects of COVID-19.
Responsibilities and Duties
The company places a high value on problem solving skills, exceptional attention to detail, and the ability to communicate clearly and concisely, with a focus on exceeding client expectations. Exact duties will relate to the assignment/s being worked on at the time but all staff, whether Quantum Consultants or Senior Quantum Consultants are likely to be involved in the following duties:
- Developing claims and disputes strategies to meet client objectives
- Quantum Consultants will assist in undertaking forensic reviews of project records to prepare chronologies of events
- Assist with the managing and preparing construction claims including variations, extensions of time, disruption claims, acceleration claims, including performing technical analysis, gathering evidence and drafting technical submissions
- Assist with the drafting contractual correspondence and providing contract administration and commercial management advice
- Assist with dispute resolution processes including mediation, expert determination and preparing detailed adjudication applications and responses
- Work with client project teams and legal professionals.
Desired Skills and Experience
As a premium construction disputes employer with operations across Commercial Advisory, Claims Management and Dispute Resolution, candidates are needed with both relevant construction disputes experience and transferrable skills. Experience of having managed claims and disputes work within Australia is desirable, although experience in similar construction territories with similar methods of construction and dispute resolution such as the United Kingdom, the UAE, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Africa or other comparable countries is desired. At Consultant level this experience is advantageous rather than essential.
- Some experience of developing claims and disputes strategies to meet client objectives
- Exposure to undertaking forensic reviews of project records to prepare chronologies of events
- Ideally some experience of managing and preparing construction claims including variations, extensions of time, disruption claims, acceleration claims, including performing technical analysis, gathering evidence and drafting technical submissions
- Some experience in drafting contractual correspondence and providing contract administration and commercial management advice
- Some experience of managing dispute resolution processes including mediation, expert determination and preparing detailed adjudication applications and responses
- Ideally some experience of working with client project teams and legal professionals.
- A degree in Quantity Surveying, Civil Engineering or a related construction industry degree or post graduate qualification is expected (and likely to be essential if a work visa is required)
- Chartership in the form of MRICS / MInstCES, CEng, PEng or similar is desirable but not essential
- An LLM in Construction Law and Dispute Resolution or similar / equivalent is desirable but not essential
- If a suitable candidate has started their LLM in Construction Law and Dispute Resolution or is considering undertaking it, there can happily be a discussion regarding sponsorship of applicable course fees
Employing Company Overview and Profile
This well-known repeat customer of Maxim Recruitment is a close-knit team of dispute professionals, coming from a range of construction industry backgrounds and different parts of the world.
Directors of the business are committed to providing flexible working arrangements to support employee work-life balance. Through internal mentorship and training opportunities and initiatives, our people continue to learn and develop on their professional career path.
Their head office is situated just a short walk from the core Sydney CBD, and very close to public transport hubs. They operate an open-plan working space which fosters a culture of collaboration and teamwork, and allows for an open door policy between staff and Directors. Regular social events for the team and for clients are arranged to develop, maintain and grow close professional relationships.
Further details of the role and the employer will be provided to shortlisted applicants.
A few words about life in Sydney for construction disputes professionals:
Sydney is a phenomenal place to live. Global surveys consistently support this belief, and the city is ranked among the top ten best cities in the world for quality of living. Sydney is a world-class global city with access to incredible natural wonders. The outdoor, laid-back lifestyle supports a family friendly atmosphere, while the buzzing cultural hub of the city often attracts early career construction and dispute professionals.
Australia encourages immigration, and has put a number of pathways in place for a streamlined application process from working visa to permanent residency to citizenship. From day of arrival in Sydney, families can obtain Australian passports in as little as 4 years. Australia has a very open and receptive culture overall.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
- Generous salary – dependant on experience and could range within the AUS$100,000 to $150,000 range based on quality and extent of previous experience
- Flights and mobilisation costs incurred can be offset against Australian tax
- Visa costs covered by your employer as required