Senior Quantity Surveyor Claims and Variations
This role would be an ideal opportunity for a Quantity Surveyor looking to transition into a specialist claims role with a leading UK and International Consultancy.
The successful candidate will spend their first 9-12 months working on a commission assisting a specialist subcontractor working on a large signature project in Cambridge. You will work as part of a team of staff providing claims and contract management to the client, which will include dealing with a substantial backlog of claims and variations.
If you are based in and around Cambridge, that would be ideal. However, if not, that is not a problem as long as you are prepared to be on site 3 days a week. The hiring company will subsidise travel and accommodation costs.
After this commission has ended your role within the claims and disputes team will allow you to work remotely from any part of the UK, with some travel obviously required for client meetings.
However, the flexibility of this role makes it one of the most unique and promising opportunities of its kind on the market at the moment.
The exact project details are confidential and can be revealed at interview stage to selected candidates by the client.
However, the project is a signature development in Cambridge valued in the hundreds of millions of Pounds being built on a cost-plus basis.
Responsibilities and Duties
You will work as part of a small team of staff whose primary role will be to provide commercial, contractual and claims support to a specialist subcontractor.
The role will be very process driven due to client inflicting stringent systems to allow contractors and subcontractors to get paid. As part of a team, you will be expected to take control of a large backlog of variations and claims on behalf of the subcontractor, agree payment and help their cashflow.
After this commission you can expect to get involved in more complex claims and disputes related work, including working closely with an expert witness and gaining exposure to formal dispute proceedings such as adjudications.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Candidates need a strong background on live projects either for a main contractor, consultancy or subcontractor
- Strong contractual knowledge is required with demonstrable skills in contract administration and ideally claims management
- A desire to specialise in a specialist claims and disputes orientated role would be advantageous
- Strong writing skills
- Methodical and analytical in your approach to work.
- Ability to follow strong systems and procedures
- Candidates should be Degree qualified in a relevant subject
- Membership to a relevant professional body such as the RICS or MCIOB is desired, but is not essential. Full training and support can be given to candidates pursuing these memberships.
Employing Company Overview and Profile
The hiring company is one of the largest construction consultancies in the UK with offices situated throughout the England, Wales and Scotland, as well and an international presence. Within the business they have a specialist claims and disputes division which the successful candidate will eventually become a part of.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
£55k - £70k (Depending on Experience)
+ Reasonable Travel and Accommodation costs paid by the employer (for the duration of this assignment)
+ Private Healthcare