Temporary Works Designer
Construction careers don't get better than this exciting new opportunity for Temporary Works Engineers. Our client, a top-tier UK based contractor, is looking to appoint an experienced Temporary Works Designer to join their HS2 JV team in London.
You will be part of the temporary work design team based in West Ruislip, London, and you will interact with external TW designers from the JV parent companies and through the supply chain.
Reporting to the Area TW Design Manager you will ensure that TW designs are adequate and safely designed for construction, use and dismantling, and that development and delivery of TW designs are in accordance with the JV Programme Temporary Works Procedure.
The Temporary Works Designer’s primary task is the management of the design process from design brief to construction. Communicating via design check certificates, drawings, designers risk assessments & calculations to the construction team.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Ensure that a design brief has been established with full consultation, is adequate and is in accordance with the actual situation on site, and ensuring all construction loads are considered.
- Advise the permanent works designer of any temporary conditions or loads that should be considered in the permanent works design.
- Ensure that the design, where required, is independently checked for concept, structural adequacy and compliance with the brief.
- Ensuring SHE hazards and risks have been avoided or reduced in the design and check of temporary works and that the Delivery Team are aware of the residual risks to be managed.
- Ensuring the delivery teams are provided with safe, workable temporary works in timely manner to suit programme via in-house design or supplier/subcontract design checks.
- Working in accordance with JV procedures for TW management.
- Preparation of Design Risk Assessments including the development of appropriate design mitigation and communication with others in the construction process.
- Contribute to JV safety targets by proactive leadership.
- Ensure JV process for temporary works management is applied fully and efficiently.
- Site visits to aid identification of temporary works requirements and preparation of Contribute to the control of risk by identifying issues and providing appropriate responses.
- Contribute to continuous improvement by attending team meetings and contributing to the team development topics.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Previous experience of temporary works design
- Understanding and application of BS5975:2019
- Thorough understanding and application of the CDM Regulations 2015
- CITB Temporary Works Coordinator Course
- Completed SMSTS
- Civil or Structural Engineering Qualification, preferably BEng or higher (MEng, MSc), minimum of a HNC/HND
- Membership of relevant professional body (IEng MICE or IEng IStructE, preferred)
Employing Company Overview and Profile
Civil engineering recruitment continues apace in UK. Our client, one of the top tier construction companies in UK, helps to improve peoples' lives with integrated leading edge smart infrastructure solutions across the UK's energy, water, transportation, and defence markets.
The JV is delivering a major portion of the tunneling across London for HS2. The value of the project is £1.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels , SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
Attractive salary and benefits package available to the successful candidate.