Assistant Director Construction Safety ExpertRef MAX8608 Job Posted 07/02/2019 Region Hong Kong Location Kwun Tong Salary HK$100K- HK$140K Salary Band £60,000 to £149,999 TypePermanent Consultant Richard Poulter
A major HK statutory organisation is looking for a professional Safety Expert who possesses in-depth knowledge and a thorough understanding on the construction safety practice and who has a reputable standing in the construction industry to head its Centre for Construction Safety.
The Safety Expert will represent the client to serve as an authority on construction safety and provide foresight in the development of safety standards and practice and insight in case of safety accidents and incidents.
Our client is a critical government institution and coordinating body established in 2007 to improve the quality and competitiveness of the construction industry and promote good practices. Our client acts as a communications platform / channel and is empowered to formulate codes of conduct, share knowledge, reflect the industry’s needs, improve labour relations, promote health & safety and sustainable construction and elevate the standards and skills of the industry via funding research and organising vocational training.
Responsibilities and Duties
Reporting to the Director – Industry Development, the incumbent is responsible:
- To head and lead the work of the Centre for Construction Safety, and to promote a positive safety culture, ownership, innovation and professionalism in the construction industry;
- To provide safety authoritative view and expert advice on construction safety standards and practices;
- To lead knowledge management work on construction safety, including to maintain up-to-date knowledge in local and international developments in safety legislations, standards and practices;
- To monitor the safety performance of the Hong Kong construction industry, including maintenance of knowledge of and records on fatal and serious construction accidents;
- To liaise with industry stakeholders to understand the needs of the industry on construction safety matters, carry out government and industry stakeholder engagement, to strive for improvement in safety performance of the industry;
- To provide advice on training needs and research, including on the use of innovative safety devices, construction methods and improvement measures, in consultation with industry stakeholders, and to oversee the execution and quality of research projects funded by the client.
- To lead the preparation and dissemination of relevant publications (safety alerts, guidelines, videos, etc.) to promote and facilitate improvement in safety performance of the industry;
- To showcase construction innovations and technologies and to promote their beneficial use, to enhance their wide adoption in the industry in an appropriate manner; and
- To carry out any other duties as assigned from time to time by the Executive Director.
Desired Skills and Experience
- a minimum of 20 years’ post-qualification experience in the field of construction and construction safety, with proven record in devising and implementing safety management and execution plans at the corporate / industry level and in advocating construction safety best practices (experience in enforcement of construction safety related legislation is preferred);
- the ability to develop strategies and implementation plans in consultation with the Committee on Construction Safety, manage projects and accomplish assigned tasks independently, timely and to good quality;
- passion and strong commitment to improve for the betterment of construction safety;
- good networking capabilities and ability to establish good working relationships with the government, the construction industry and other major stakeholders with a view to encouraging adoption of appropriate standards and best practices;
- excellent organisation, communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills with attention to details;
- proactive, resourceful, creative, energetic character and the ability to work independently and as a strong team player;
- ability to meet tight schedule and work under pressure independently and manage to prioritize multiple tasks; and
- excellent command of both written and spoken English and Chinese is a must.
Applicants who do not possess the required qualifications and / or experience may be considered for other positions within the organisation.
- A recognised degree or a professional qualification, preferably in construction safety / engineering / construction or other related disciplines
Employing Company Overview and Profile
Our client is a dynamic organisation that focuses on the construction industry's needs and aspirations as well as providing a communication channel with local Government to solicit advice on all construction-related matters. This Government organisation is empowered to formulate codes of conduct, administer registration and rating schemes, steer forward research and manpower development, facilitate adoption of construction standards, promote good practices and compile performance indicators.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
Highly attractive salary, package and benefits
Recommend this job to a friend
and get a £500-£1000 cash reward for successful matches.Recommend a friend