Commercial Director of Integrated Resort Development
A Vice President Commercial - Development (Commercial Director) will be a key member of the Planning & Development team and be a strategic thought-partner reporting to the Head of the Planning. The primary objective of the team is to fully explore the opportunities of getting an IR License in Japan, and to building an effective and efficient business once a license is obtained.
To assist the Head of Planning to develop, lead and manage all commercial activities of the business. To develop and implement an innovative, growth focused commercial strategy for an Integrated Resort in Japan, focusing primarily on:
- Program Evaluation and Reporting.
- Program Cost Management, including feasibility study(s), risk analysis, estimating (conceptual and detailed) and changes / deviations.
- Tendering & Procurement Management.
- Program Conclusion (Close-out).
Responsibilities and Duties
- Establish project work plan and deadlines.
- Interfaces with stake holders to define project requirements.
- Track progress of projects against goals, objectives, timelines, and budgets. Submit periodic project reports to direct reports including Ownership.
- Conceptual Estimate / ROI / Master Schedule. This includes establishing client's requirements, undertaking feasibility studies, recommending the overall program and presenting a plan high-lighting major activities and milestones.
- Participate in identifying then preparing all documents (i.e. invitation letters, scope of work, bills of quantities, schedules and special conditions) relating to qualifying various firms (“RFQ”) required for successful completion of projects, including but not limited to, Consultants, Designers, Program / Construction Managers, Contractors, Subcontractors, Vendors and Suppliers. Assemble information acquired and present to direct report with recommendation(s) and associated Risk Analysis.
- Prepare all documents (i.e. invitation letters, scope of work, bills of quantities, schedules and special conditions) relating to requesting pricing from Consultants, Designers, Program / Construction Managers, Contractors, Subcontractors, Vendors and Suppliers. Assemble information acquired and present to direct report with recommendation(s) and associated Risk Analysis.
- Manage the commercial aspect of the design process, including drafting the various design agreements. Recommend types and appropriate limits of insurance – Professional Liability, General Liability, etc. Tracking of financial status periodically and confirming the budget through the various design phases – Concept, Schematic, Development, Construction & Administration. Establish the billing system and manage valuation, processing, approval, payment (including execution of proper releases).
- Manage the contract award process including drafting the various agreement (contracts, purchase orders, etc.), including but not limited to scope of work, various legal terms and conditions, insurance, special conditions. Follow through with issuing the initiating documents, including but not limited to Notice to Proceed and Lien Notices, etc.
- Once contracts / PO are executed, manage the document submissions as required, including but not limited to proof of insurance, proof of funding, verification of business / professional licenses, and any other statuary requirements common in the place of doing business.
- Ensure that all commercial activities meet or improve on budget, cost, volume and efficiency targets (Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)) in line with business objectives.
- Prepare project specifications to include bid specifications, qualified contractors, timing and schedules, budget preparation and expense tracking.
- Monitors expenses to ensure they fall within the prescribed budget.
- Manages project team by providing direction and leadership.
- Work closely with other functional areas of the organization, project contractors, internal team members, external collaborators, customers and suppliers.
- Manage vendors, contractors and design professionals to meet schedule, budget and the client’s needs.
- Responsible for the development of employees directly reporting to the position.
- Demonstrate drive and persistence to achieve and exceed goals for self and others. Is outcome oriented, demonstrates commitment to achieving goals. Uses clear principles and measures to make decisions and track progress.
- Participate in off-shift and weekend work as required.
- Perform other related duties requested from time to time.
- Representing the company externally e.g. at networking events, conferences and exhibitions to enhance and strengthen the company’s profile and optimize all business development opportunities.
- Liaising with relevant internal departments to ensure that business needs are met and that business requirements are fully communicated throughout the business.
- Maintaining an awareness of external factors (including competitors, government business initiatives, current and proposed legislation in relation to commercial activities) which impact the business.
- This position requires extensive domestic travel and possibly international, as well.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience directing major projects in large luxury Resort/hotel/Casino properties
- Considerable experience and expertise in the Quantity Survey and Project Management field.
- Ability to comprehend, analyze and interpret complex business data and related documents.
- Ability to prepare and document proposals, financial reports, forecast, and critical strategic time lines.
- Ability to effectively respond to sensitive issues, complex inquiries or complaints from clients, co-workers, supervisor and/or management.
- Ability to create high quality, profitable solutions while ensuring competitive performance.
- Must possess strong proficiency using computer systems and software used for delivery of services including MS project, excel.
- Ability to motivate employees and client groups to take desired action.
- Able to forecast and prepare budgets.
- At least 10 years or more of overall professional experience; ideally 10-plus years of broad investment banking, financial experience.
- A successful track record in deal making, setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- A multitasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of the client
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal. (needs to be bilingual - Japanese & English)
- Commitment to discretion and confidentiality concerning sensitive company information.
- Excellent organizational skills, a proactive mindset, and ability to multitask and prioritize work.
- Bachelor’s degree (BS) from an accredited college or university in a related field, for example – Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering and Management, etc. Alternately, a professional certification equivalent to RICS – “Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyor” or MRICS.
- Ideally with an MBA/CPA or related degree
Employing Company Overview and Profile
One of Asia's leading developers involved in large scale entertainment and integrated resort developments. You will benefit from excellent training and career development opportunities.