Commercial Manager job vacancy in Calgary for an experienced Commercial Manager, or an ambitious Senior Quantity Surveyor or Project Quantity Surveyor to work for a partnering contractor on rail, transportation, transit and LRT related projects. These could include aspects of civil engineering, building, rail, trackwork and related aspects of major civil infrastructure projects.
Commercial Manager job vacancy to join major civil engineering, building, rail, trackwork and related major civil infrastructure construction projects based in Calgary.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Leading all aspects of commercial activities within a major civil engineering infrastructure project producing an efficient cost-effective financial result to the business.
- To advise and manage the conditions of contract post contract award
- To manage the target cost and design & build contract effectively and in an innovative way
- Follow procedures to work with the commercial team to quantify & cost the required construction works
- Ensure timely submission of valuations and receipt of certificates.
- Ensure that payments are made in accordance with the subcontracts & ensure that any commercial threats or risks to projects are identified.
- Work with the commercial team to monitor project cash flow, valuation plan & projected costs to completion in line with budget
- Produce subcontract orders in accordance with corporate procedures.
- Ensure that accurate records are kept
- Review and ensure the relevant company procedures are complied with
- Prepare and report to senior management on financial and commercial aspects of projects from award to final payment
- Ensure the commercial aspects of sub-contract accounts are managed properly, from procurement to interim & final account agreement.
- Ensure that each subcontractor’s account is managed in accordance with their terms & conditions.
- Build, develop & maintain a network of strong relationships with key stakeholders such as subcontractors & clients.
- Keep the client informed of any variations to their target budget & manage their expectations.
- Ensure financial and contractual performance forecasts are in place by the required deadlines.
- Ensure that project targets and the company’s Key Performance Indicators are achieved and that problems are identified and resolved at an early stage to assist in mitigation and risk sharing and mitigation
Desired Skills and Experience
Suitable Commercial Managers will have experience in target cost and D&B design and build contracts & previous experience of administering both target cost and D&B design and build contracts either in Canada or in the UK or other international location.
Although capability and quality of experience is most important, it is anticipated that suitable Commercial Manager candidates will have roughly c8-20 years’ experience of good quality Senior QS / Project QS / Commercial Management experience on relevant projects such as rail or civil engineering infrastructure projects.
Experience of working on a project from inception to successful project completion is regarded as very important by this employer.
- Experience of major or mega civil engineering &/or rail construction projects is desired
- Premium quality contractor experience preferred including experience of dealing with subcontractors using established industry leading procedures
- Strong people skills/client facing skills and ability to manage staff & internal communications
- Collaborative attitude and able to prevent problems developing and growing rather than just reacting to them - collaborative mindset rather than claims orientated.
- Experienced in the handling of complex projects and issues to successful resolution
- Previous experience of undertaking the full range of job duties listed above
- CIQS / MRICS or equivalent Chartership desired
- BSc in Quantity Surveying or Cost Management or Commercial Management or Project Controls or equivalent is desirable.
Employing Company Overview and Profile
A large international construction contractor with a fantastic reputation for successfully building and managing major and mega building and civil engineering projects.
Moving towards collaborative and partnering contracting around the world, they are a fantastic employer for shrewd and contractually and commercially aware professionals to progress their careers in a number of locations in Canada and multiple countries around the world.
A full employer profile will be given to shortlisted candidates.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
- Generous basic salary