Construction Manager Mining TBM Top DownRef MAX8926 Consultant Richard Poulter Region Australia and NZ Location Auckland, New Zealand Salary Negotiable Salary Band £60,000 to £149,999 TypePermanent Job Posted 04/05/2020 Status Live
Our client, a blue chip global civil engineering contractor is seeking to appoint a seasoned Construction Manager with experience in mining (cavern construction), top down construction and TBM tunnelling for a landmark complex project underway in Auckland, New Zealand
The Construction Manager is responsible for all works - excluding rail systems - performed by the JV in two underground stations and tunnels. The primary focus on this role will be to Support the General Construction Manager in implementing JV Principles and reaching JV objectives in areas under his responsibility.
You will be based full time on the project site in Auckland , New Zealand
Responsibilities and Duties
- Management of all works - excluding rail systems - including one top-down station, one mined station, 0.7 km of mined tunnel and 3.2km of bored tunnel
- Direct management of 3 Project Managers leading the 2 stations, the mined tunnel and the TBM tunnel
- Coordinate interfaces between different areas of works in his portfolio and other construction activities (Foundations, Utilities) and support departments (survey, traffic management, concrete supply, plant)
- Monitor preparation of plans and programming of early works and future works in his area
- Supervises interfaces with centralized support departments: Health & Safety, Quality, Programme, Communications and Stakeholders, Environment, Engineering, Design
- Help to bridge the gap between operational and strategic leadership ensuring that all activities are aligned with the wider, long term objectives of the Alliance strategy document to develop and grow the business
- Understand and embed the JV principles to the site team in a way that is understood by all workers.
- Approve for construction all documents produced by construction teams or methods teams in his area
- Validate programmes and progress reports issued by his team. Provides information needed for accurate progress monitoring and cost control.
- Supervises alignment of construction programme to wider project target programme.
- Participate in the management of the subcontracts ensuring contract performance meets JV requirements in terms of quality and timeframes together with fair commercial relationship.
- Implement control framework and monitoring process, including project budgets, and report regularly to project budgets and report regularly to project stakeholders.
- Verify and ensure sign off monthly forecasts, costs to complete etc
- Manage construction operations to achieve a superior level of safety, environmental and quality performance.
- In conjunction with the H&S Manager and Advisors, promote safe and environmentally sound working practices and a culture of safe and responsible behaviours and attitudes, ensuring safety and environmental initiatives and achievements are publicised and rewarded.
- Take personal and team responsibility for Zero Harm developed. Safety, environment and sustainability performance measures to meet JV targets e.g. LTI, TEIFR, energy targets.
- Ensure health and safety and environment features prominently in induction and ongoing staff development.
- Identify and minimise business risks and compliance issues, including critical safety and environmental risks.
- Ensure appropriate Project Management Methodology and quality assurance systems are in place. Ensure the relevant quality standards and accreditation maintained, that Health and Safety, environment and quality plans are aligned with Alliance strategy and policy, communicated to staff, monitored and reported on monthly, with appropriate incentives in place.
- Critically challenge all aspects of the project, ensuring that the construction team is recognised as delivering operational excellence on behalf of the JV and is fully integrated with the rest of the time to deliver the best for project outcome.
- Ensure that all stakeholders impacted by the project's construction works in his area are communicated with proactively and issues are managed effectively to ensure the JV is recognised as being an industry leader in the delivery the project.
Overall JV Principles
- Achieve industry leading standards for health, safety and wellbeing
- Develop exceptional interfaces and collaborative relationships
- Complete the project on time
- Build a team committed to delivering high performance
- Achieve best value
- Set new benchmarks in sustainable and environmental performance
Desired Skills and Experience
- Demonstrable experience in mining (cavern construction) and TBM tunneling
- At least 10 years’ experience in the Civil Engineering sector five of these in a Management role
- Prior experience managing multiple construction interfaces to achieve Project objectives
- Proven Project Management experience
- Proven Business Management experience with responsibility and accountability for staff, plant and return on investment for $200 million+ Projects.
- Ability to read, understand and ensure specifications and requirements are fully implemented
- Demonstrable experience of managing multiple suppliers and sub-contractors
- Demonstrable experience in preparing and submitting Financial Reports
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritise duties
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Computer skills
- Strong commitment to Health & Safety initiatives
- Strong proven leadership skills
- Degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent
Employing Company Overview and Profile
A blue chip Tier 1 global civil engineering contractor with an impressive delivery record of major rail and infra projects is seeking to strengthen its team in Auckland on a major underground rail project.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
Attractive salary package comprehensive suite of benefits are available for the successful individual
- Construction Manager Marble and Granite West Kowloon, Hong Kong - HK$45K-HK$75K / m
Recommend this job to a friend
and get a £500-£1000 cash reward for successful matches.Recommend a friend