A Cost Estimator with Canadian PR, Citizenship or transferable work permit in Canada is needed to join a dynamic construction project management and engineering consultancy based in Vancouver, BC. The projects for cost estimation work will range in size from $20m to multi Billion dollar major projects for clients in the Highway & Bridge, Transportation, Ports & Marine and other related civil engineering infrastructure sectors.
This job role is to be the supporting Cost Estimator to the Senior Estimator. You will work as a team and provide support to the estimating function. You will have had some previous estimating experience but will be ambitious and looking for a fast-track training and career path.
As Cost Estimator, you will be located in Vancouver and will work both from home and based in the downtown Vancouver office as required. Your Estimator and Cost Estimating role will be to work on a number of civil engineering infrastructure projects to be constructed in Canada with a focus on the British Columbia market.
The employing company is a small Client focused business that is well known within the Canadian market for their ability to lead and deliver project success.
The Cost Estimator role is to work with a range of new and repeat clients to establish construction and project budgets for Clients in the Highway & Bridge, Transportation, Ports & Marine and other related civil engineering infrastructure sectors.
The budgets you will be responsible for will shape the future paths of the projects through financial approvals, procurement and into construction.
This exciting Estimating job role is not just focused on the market rates and costs for construction, but will challenge your constructability and scheduling skills to ensure the bespoke elements of the individual projects are captured within the budgets set.
The estimators working for this company become an integral part of the Client team and through a control of the cost, schedule and constructability they are in a strong position to advise the design team in developing a design that is as efficient as possible, while meeting the needs of the Client.
The individual will be focused, a good communicator and self-confident. The company culture is one that empowers individuals to self-manage the needs of the Client with the support of the company owners.
The successful candidate will have the freedom to establish their own Client base and niche markets that they can ultimately manage as the company expands.
Responsibilities and Duties
This Cost Estimator job will have core duties that include the following; training can be provided in some areas if not all duties have previously been undertaken such as:
- Cost estimating and pricing of projects from the ground up using Labour, Equipment and Materials supported by a construction schedule and constructability plan.
- Advising clients on budgets and in due course helping them to manage their cost management systems.
- Working as an integral part of a team comprising designers, planners and specialist advisors.
- Commercial management duties
- Live client interface responsibilities
- Working successfully in a team environment
- Understanding, identifying and evaluating project risks for inclusion in the project budget
- Costing project from drawings at different stages of design from preliminary through conceptual to IFC drawings, using real world construction experience rather than a purely theoretical approach
- Ability to review tender documents, geotechnical reports and construction drawings and be able to predict future project duration to establish robust project budgets
- Able to understand and use HSS, HeavyBid, Bid2Win or other comparable construction sector pricing software
This Cost Estimator role requires an ambitious, proactive and cerebral candidate that is seeking to make an impact on the outcome of projects from their first concept through design, procurement and construction.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Around 2 or more years of previous Cost estimating experience within the construction industry in Canada, ideally Vancouver, British Columbia
- Preference is for estimating experience gained from working on highways, bridges and transportation projects or transferrable experience from power, oil & gas or major building projects
- Experience in construction contracting experience is preferred, ideally on projects of between $20m-$200m + in value.
- Experience of advising clients on budgets and managing cost control systems is highly desirable
- Experience of working in Canada on civil engineering infrastructure or rail projects is desirable although good quality international experience is also acceptable
- Commercial management experience would be beneficial
- Client interface experience is important
- Experienced in working in a team environment with the confidence to self manage on a daily basis with support from company Directors.
- Demonstrable understanding of identifying, managing and evaluating project risks is essential.
- Hands on experience of using HSS, HeavyBid, Bid2Win or other comparable construction sector pricing software is expected
Previous construction project estimating experience needs to demonstrate the above capabilities and be able to evidence a proactive and innovative approach to the estimating and project costing process.
A demonstrable passion is needed that will ensure that cost systems are set up appropriately to be able to allow costs to be managed throughout the construction process to successful project completion.
- A professional qualification in construction is highly desirable although hands on cost estimating and commercial management experience is most critical.
- Canadian Citizenship or the current right to work in Canada is an ESSENTIAL criteria for consideration for this role.
- Current location and experience of Vancouver / British Columbia construction and ideally civil engineering infrastructure projects is highly desirable
Employing Company Overview and Profile
This premium Canadian construction industry employer is a highly regarded specialist project management, engineering, cost and risk management consultancy based in Vancouver, Canada.
They benefit from having an excellent reputation and forward order book of confirmed work on a range of infrastructure, transportation, civil engineering, road, highway, bridge and transportation projects in Canada with a focus on the BC market.
A full client profile will be provided to applicants shortlisted for interview.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
- Generous salary based on candidate experience
- Annual Bonus
- 4 weeks vacation in addition to statutory holidays