Executive Director of Design and Development
Summary of Executive Director of Design and Development Job Vacancy - Cairo
Are you ready for the challenge of a lifetime? Do you have luxury hotel design, construction and operations skills & experience? Do you have what it takes to develop your career with a leading global hotels operator? Our client is looking for an Executive Director - Design & Construction. This position will be based in their Cairo Regional Office covering the MEAI Region. You will be responsible for the coordination and development of all aspects of luxury hotel design to ensure the design standards are provided to the design consultants in a timely manner.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Reporting to the VP Midde East, Africa & India Design and Construction
- Prepare, update and revise area summary, design briefs, operating criteria, design standards and outline of consultant scope of responsibilities.
- Participate and direct consultants through concept, schematic design, design development, construction documents, construction and post- opening deficiency phase.
- Assist in the review of preliminary project budgets and participate in Value Engineering process to assure that overall budget is adhered to.
- Assist in the selection of all consultants, including definition of scope of services and fee negotiations.
- Meet with consultants to review Design Brief and Operating Criteria, Design Standards and Construction Budget. Review consultants' responsibilities, sources of direction, budget control, reporting functions, etc.
- Co-ordinate and develop budgeting cost control, design alternatives, schedules, etc.
- Provide detailed direction to the specialist consultants, i.e. kitchen and laundry designers, back of house, audio visual, acoustic, etc.
- Direct the preparation of detailed layout drawings of all hotel back of the house areas, including offices, maintenance, housekeeping, etc.
- Direct interior designers and architects in the preparation of detailed layouts for all guest rooms and public areas.
- Review and comment on all drawings and specifications submitted by various consultants within the time constraints of the design program.
- Co-ordinate all documents to ensure inclusion of hotel design standards and operating criteria.
- Review final documents including drawings, specifications, budgets, operating pro-formas, etc.
- Assist in coordination of model guestrooms to resolve construction details, quality and alternates. Carry out final inspection of model rooms prior to installation of loose furnishings.
- Review and approve shop drawings for specialist items, i.e. front desk millwork, FF&E and Joinery.
- Review and approve samples of all materials as required.
- Assist in implementing detailed systems of inspection of all work carried out on-site.
- Assist in final inspection of all areas, including kitchen and laundry equipment in conjunction with consultants. Monitor deficiency lists to assure timely completion.
- Attend design and construction meetings as required to assist in resolution of problems, expedite construction and co-ordinate with FF&E installation.
- Assist in preparation of FF&E installation schedule and coordinate with construction program and hotel staffing / HOI Team.
- Provide to owners, detailed monthly reports including TSA Fee status and payment, budget, outstanding design issues and construction progress as requested.
- Build and maintain key relationships with Owners and Consultants to ensure projects progress in a smooth and timely manner.
- Liaise internally within the organization and obtain the necessary input from other corporate departments and disciplines such as HOI, Operations, Food and Beverage, Technology and Spa, etc., per project and have that input coordinated into the design.
- Ensure new hotel designs are benchmarked and optimized for energy efficiency including compliance with global energy and environmental initiatives.
- Provide Design and Construction input/advice in the due diligence process on potential new/conversion and/or renovation of existing hotels and ensure pre-opening reviews relative to the standards and specifications are professionally executed.
- Provide professional technical support in relation to the Owned and leased assets and ensure Owned managed and leased hotel capital projects comply with the company brand requirements and support the AFE process.
- Collaborate with the Hotel Opening and Integration team to glean data and determine necessary steps to drive improvement in quality, including compliance with Brand Standards and Brand Safety Standards and quicker ramp up.
- Provide advice and management to project teams and owners for FFE, purchasing and O.S.E. support.
- Ensure all small power and data requirements in the preparation of typical guestroom small power and data requirements are carried out.
- Comment on suggested methods of construction and construction schedules, etc and keep abreast of new technologies to improve time to market.
- Ensure adequate comment on back of house finishes schedules, door schedules, window schedules and ironmongery schedules where requireEnsure co-ordination of all documents to ensure inclusion of hotel and serviced residence design standards and operating criteria.
- Ensure proper co-ordination of design alternatives, schedules, programming advice and recommendations etc.
- Carry out site inspection and assessment as required or directed.
- Ensure detailed systems of inspection of all work carried out on-site are undertaken.
- To represent the Design and Construction function during any refurbishment and renovation works required at any of the operational properties providing professional advice and recommendations to the hotel Operations teams, Owners etc.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Extensive experience either in hotel management or a similar role within a project management/design consultancy with a specialization in hotels.
- Previously worked within an international or global organization
- Degree level in Architecture, Engineering or similar