Manager Quantum & Commercial
An exciting management role to lead and provide advisory services to clients on commercial and quantum issues relating to contentious projects.
The hiring company is a Quantity Surveying, Planning and Construction Disputes consultancy based in Macclesfield, Cheshire.
They are looking for a Chartered (MRICS) Quantity Surveyor likely to be operating in a managerial role, either as a Commercial Manager or within a specialist Quantum disputes position.
The successful candidate must have had exposure to a significant number of claims on contentious projects. Ideally you will have experience of managing or working in a senior role on the quantum analysis for formal disputes such as adjudication, arbitration and/or litigation.
The successful candidate will be employed in managerial role, often leading a team responsible for providing high level commercial, contractual and dispute resolution advice to clients.
One of the real selling points to this role is the variety of interesting and complex projects that you will get exposure to.
The hiring company work with an established client base both domestically and internationally. The have a strong reputation for providing expertise in planning, commercial and dispute resolution and are regularly appointed to assist leading contractors, consultancies, and client organisation on contentious projects.
Responsibilities and Duties
Working as a Manager in a consultancy role providing commercial and quantum related services across a range of sectors for a variety of clients. This role will report directly into the Director of the business and have managerial responsibilities for small teams of staff.
Specific duties will include:
- Feasibility Studies
- Contract Administration
- Control, manage and report contractual obligations from procurement to final account
- Determine schedules, monitor programmes and understand risks
- Accurate assessments of progress
- Forensic analysis in alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
- Clear and impartial evidence for tribunals (ADR)
- Produce narratives, analyse quantum and produce expert reports. Provide information to clients with regards to matters in dispute.
- Produce quantum reports and claims for issue externally.
As a senior employee the role also includes:
- Management of internal and external project teams
- Training, development and performance management of internal employees, as applicable
- Acting as a role model and mentor to other employees
- Providing support to Directors
A full and detailed job description of all duties and responsibilities can be provided to shortlisted candidates.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Candidates should have a proven track record of successfully managing large scale, complex projects from inception through to completion.
- Candidates should have significant exposure to claims and disputes on contentious projects, either in their role as a Commercial Manager or whilst working in a senior role within a specialist claims and disputes consultancy.
- Must have experience in a senior role providing quantum advice and analysis for formal dispute proceedings such as adjudication, arbitration or litigation.
- Must have exceptional writing skills and ideally have demonstrable experience of contributing to the writing of expert reports.
- An exceptional level of understanding of construction law and dispute resolution techniques, including when it is advisable to proceed with formal dispute proceedings and when it is beneficial to seek alternative dispute resolution methods.
- Strong managerial skills and capable of managing teams of internal and external staff
- Familiar with common forms of contracts such as NEC and/or JCT, and have demonstrable skills of administering contracts effectively.
- Be fully comfortable in a client facing role.
- An ambitious individual looking to buy into the core values of the business and lead the business forward with its growth plan.
- Candidates are required to have completed a relevant construction degree, such as a degree in Quantity Surveying.
- Candidates must be fully chartered, specifically with the RICS.
- It would be desirable for candidates to have completed a higher education course relating to construction law, such as an MSc or LLM.
Employing Company Overview and Profile
The hiring company is a reputable and established consultancy offering a range of advisory services to their client, relating to planning, quantity surveying and alternative dispute resolution. They can provide candidates with frequent exposure to contentious projects which may require contract administration, claims preparation and dispute resolution techniques. This also includes providing an expert witness service for formal dispute hearings such as adjudications, mediations, arbitration, and litigations.
The successful candidates will work alongside highly reputable Directors on an appealing variety of projects and disputes.
The employer has a strong HR department and places a high emphasis on regular appraisals, career development and internal/external training. They expect candidates to be ambitious and place the same emphasis on their self-development.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
Up to £85k Salary
+ Bonus (Circa 4% annually)
+ 22 – 26 days holiday + Bank Holidays
+ Pension (Employer 5% contribution)