Project Quantity Surveyor
Responsibilities and Duties
Reporting into the National Projects Director, you will be the sole Quantity Surveyor in a company with over 10,000 employees nationwide.
- To cost manage / control projects and ensure the best possible value for the business.
- To seek to minimise the costs of a project and enhance value for money, while still achieving the required standards and quality.
- Working closely with the project managers to ensure all aspects, (from initial budgets to final accounts) of their project costs are managed in an efficient and methodical manner.
- Ensuring projects are built to budget, on time and to the agreed quality standards.
Desired Skills and Experience
- To undertake day to day project cost management for a number projects across a broad range of retail and catering schemes.
- To prepare budget costs for new business opportunities and tenders.
- Reviewing Landlord shell and core information, in conjunction with project managers, for new sites ensuring costs to SSP are minimised.
- Attend briefing meetings as required and offer advice on the cost of particular build strategies.
- Prepare budget costs based on outline and sketch scheme designs together with presenting opportunities for cost savings.
- Tendering - Prepare Bills/Schedule and /or Scope of Works required to obtain competitive tenders. These Documents will be prepared in line with Drawings, Specifications and Details provided by the Designer.
- Select and review, in conjunction with the project managers, which contractors shall be invited for tender.
- Liaises with all external consultants, including designers, project coordinators and M&E engineers and to review all aspects of their work in terms of achieving best value for the company.
- Advise on and implement standard forms of contract for projects as applicable.
- Monitor and manage project costs throughout the life of the project and update the National Project Director of any potential overspends. Review and ensure best value for all project variations.
- A formal qualification in Quantity Surveying. Ideally a BSc in Quantity Surveying, however similar equivalents will be considered.
- Candidates with previous experience in the management and delivery of retail based projects is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and client relation skills are required as the successful candidate will be heavily involved in client facing
- Previous experience of working in house for a retailer in a similar role would be an advantage but not essential.
- Candidates from a contractor, consultant, PMC or client role will be considered if they can demonstrate the skills required to perform in this role.
- Excellent knowledge of building contract documentation
- Excellent financial management skills
- Excellent negotiation skills
Employing Company Overview and Profile
The interviewing company is the market leader in the production, maintenance, refurbishment and fit out of retail outlets at transport hubs on a global basis. The company has 10,000 employees in the UK, 30,000 employees worldwide spanning 32 countries, and a turnover of close to £2 billion.