Senior Planning Engineer
Construction careers don't get better than this exciting new opportunity for Planning Engineers. Our client, a top-tier UK based contractor, is looking to appoint an experienced Senior Planning Engineer to to join the incredible planning team on their flagship HS2 project in Birmingham, UK.
You will be based at their project offices in Birmingham, UK.
This is a Senior Planner opportunity for someone who has an aspiration to progress their career in high end complex construction engineering.
You will be working under the supervision of the Lead Construction Manager and specific work package managers to develop a detailed construction and procurement schedule for the earthworks mass haul and civil structures aspect of the project.
Responsibilities and Duties
- To manage the programme for the civils element part of project
- To enforce company and client’s policies and procedures across the project
- To coach the operational project teams on planning elements of their work and integrate and communicate effectively with the project team
- Interrogate the programme schedule across the project through interactive planning sessions
- Interface directly with Supply Chain and undertake regular physical review & challenge of claimed progress in areas both on and off site
- Manage the planning at all stages of a project, identifying any rectification action required and influencing the parties responsible to complete these actions
- Lead the generation of schedules and their re baselining where required, involving the project team to give understanding, buy in and commitment
- Provide coaching to the wider operational teams to enable them to work more effectively and with minimum direct planner support, hence improving overall efficiency
- Application of technical knowledge and experience to produce integrated programmes
- Establishment of accurate and up to date programme metrics to define the status of projects across the portfolio
- Work closely with the Construction Manager and others to maximise the potential of each project, attend site meetings when necessary to discuss and confirm progress
- Coordinate the supply chain to achieve production targets and key milestones
- Act as the ‘conscience’ of the project, accurately defining project programme status
- Develop and maintain the Rules of Credit for progress capture
- Produce change requests and supporting data for any change of project baselines
- Update Basis of Schedule Construction Programme report showing changes made since previous version
- Manage schedule-related elements of the risk mitigation plan, opportunity plan
- Collect and maintain schedule data within the project library
- Intervene where required to refocus planning efforts in the recovery or redirection of projects and develop recovery plans, review supply chain recovery plans
Desired Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of contemporary planning techniques such as CPA, time chainage
- Broad knowledge of Engineering & Construction methodology
- Basic knowledge of integrating the plan within a 4D BIM environment
- Understanding the need for fully integrated schedules and reports
- Experience of planning for a major project(s)
- Planning & developing integrated schedules from first principles
- Knowledge of critical path planning techniques & appropriate software, Preferably P6 & Tilos
- Communication skills and record keeping, data handling & processing
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Word & Excel
- Ability to interrogate, question and challenge information
- Degree or HNC qualified in engineering
- Project management education or active membership of project management professional institutions e.g. MAPM, PMI, ICE
Employing Company Overview and Profile
Civil engineering recruitment continues apace in UK. Our client, one of the top tier construction companies in UK, helps to improve peoples' lives with integrated leading edge smart infrastructure solutions across the UK's energy, water, transportation, and defence markets. They help their clients improve their business performance by increasing their capacity, improving customer service, safeguarding security, enhancing resilience, decarbonising and delivering increased efficiency. Their vision is to be the UK's leading smart infrastructure solutions company.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
Attractive salary and benefits package available to the successful candidate.