Tunnels Project ManagerRef MAX9135 Consultant Richard Poulter Region Australia and NZ Location Auckland, New Zealand Salary NZ$350K ++ Salary Band £150,000 Plus TypePermanent Job Posted 30/04/2021 Status Live: Interviewing now
Our client, a global civil engineering contractor, is seeking to appoint an experienced Tunneling Manager with demonstrable experience of major tunnel projects to join their team to deliver a landmark complex rail project underway in Auckland, New Zealand.
The Tunnels Project Manager is responsible for the programming and delivery of construction works. The primary focus on this role will be growing the capability of the team, making sure they understand and adhere to the JV principles, provide clear and positive leadership to ensure we deliver best for project outcomes. This includes producing clear and transparent reporting allowing the JV Management Team to make site relevant decisions.
The Tunnels Project Manager will be responsible for the safety of workers and public within the scope of the tunnel works and will develop a high-performance team, who are able to embrace and understand the JV principle and be good at problem solving.
You will be based full time on the project site in Auckland , New Zealand
Responsibilities and Duties
Provide Strategic Leadership
- Help to bridge the gap between operational and strategic leadership ensuring that all activities are aligned with the wider, long term objectives of the JV strategy document to develop and grow the business
- Understand and embed JV principles to the site team in a way that is understood by all workers.
Planning and estimating
- Participate in the production of project methodologies, budgets and programmes for construction.
- Provide accurate advice for construction phasing a, methodology to allow informed engineering and design decision which are best for project. Provide accurate estimates for budgets and monthly reporting.
- Prepare and update the specific Construction Management Plans
- Review and seek approval of all construction documentation
- Plan and organize construction activities in your area, in coordination with specialty managers
- Participate in the management of the contracts ensuring contract performance meets JV requirements in terms of quality and timeframes
- Manage subcontracts in your area or support specialty managers in managing their subcontractors
- Implement control framework and monitoring process, including project budgets, and report regularly to project budgets and report regularly to project stakeholders.
- Verify and ensure sign off monthly forecasts, costs to complete etc
Safety, Environment, Quality & Risk Management
- Manage construction operations to achieve a superior level of safety, environmental and quality performance.
- In conjunction with the Manager and Advisor, promote safe and environmentally sound working practices and a culture of safe and responsible behaviours and attitudes, ensuring safety and environmental initiatives and achievements are publicised and rewarded.
- Take personal and team responsibility for Zero Harm developed. Safety, environment and sustainability performance measures to meet JV targets e.g. LTI, TEIFR, energy targets.
- Ensure health and safety and environment features prominently in induction and ongoing staff development.
- Identify and minimise business risks and compliance issues, including critical safety and environmental risks.
- Ensure appropriate Project Management Methodology and quality assurance systems are in place. Ensure the relevant quality standards and accreditation maintained, that Health and Safety, environment and quality plans are aligned with JV strategy and policy, communicated to staff, monitored and reported on monthly, with appropriate incentives in place.
- Critically challenge all aspects of the project, ensuring that the construction team is recognised as delivering operational excellence on behalf of the JV and is fully integrated with the rest of the time to deliver the best for project outcome.
- Manage the interface between the tunnel work and the work on the Stations
- Accountable for timely delivery and handover of works in his area, for control of construction costs, and for compliance with environment requirements.
- Manage the allocation of people, plant, technology and resources to achieve outcomes.
- Manage plant effectively, maximise utilisation of own plant. Liaise effectively with Plant Manager. Promote mutualisation of resources between different sections of works/other stations to get the best result for the project.
- Coordinate with other project managers and the Tunnel Construction Manager in order to allocate resources and priorities which are best for overall project.
People Management & Development
- Communicates effectively using a respectful, personal manner
- Provide positive leadership and mentoring to all team members within the project
- Effective management of disciplinary procedures in cooperation with JV HR and the relevant Home Organisation
- Involve team members in setting clear targets for their area of responsibility
- Manage, coach and assist direct reports to achieve their targets and improve their competency
- Coordinate with the Construction Manager to have a good understanding of the “bigger picture” and make sure that site supervisors that report to the superintendent have the allocated resources and understand the priority for the whole project. Make sure that decisions are best for project.
Ensure that all stakeholders impacted by the CRL construction works for your station are communicated with proactively and issues are managed effectively to ensure the JV is recognised as being an industry leader in the delivery the CRL project.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Proven Project Management experience
- At least 10 years’ experience in the Underground mine or tunnel sector, five of these in a Management role
- Ability to read, understand and ensure specifications and requirements are fully implemented
- Demonstrable experience of managing multiple suppliers and sub-contractors
- Demonstrable experience in preparing and submitting Financial Reports
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritise duties
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Computer skills
- Strong commitment to Health & Safety initiatives
- Strong proven leadership skills
- Tertiary qualification or equivalent in Engineering.
- Highly desirable to have proven Business Management experience with responsibility and accountability for staff, plant and return on investment.
Employing Company Overview and Profile
Civil engineering recruitment continues a pace as our client as our client, a top tier global civil engineering contractor with an impressive delivery record of major rail and infrastructure projects, seeks to strengthen its team in Auckland on a major underground rail project. Give a major boost to your construction career path and get in touch today!
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
Attractive salary package comprehensive suite of benefits are available for the successful individual
Recommend this job to a friend
and get a £500-£1000 cash reward for successful matches.Recommend a friend