The first half of 2018 has been a busy few months for the rail sector. High Speed 2 (HS2) design is well underway, with further plans being revealed over the last few months. Network Rail is expected to increase spending over the next 18 months, and a 20-year plan for a Midlands rail hub was launched in early July.
For rail professionals, this is all good news as the sector continues to look buoyant well into the future. Here’s our roundup of the latest developments in rail.
What’s New in High Speed 2
The design is still underway, with construction work expected to begin in early 2019 – which, let’s face it, is less than six months away. Some preparatory works are imminent, such as those required to electrify sections of the Midland Main Line.
Looking forward, Leeds was recently revealed as the site of a new rolling stock depot, and the Birmingham Curzon Street Station Design and Build pre-qualification questionnaires will be issued in November this year.
If you are looking to get involved with HS2, we have several exciting vacancies including:
- Managing QS, Birmingham
- Senior Risk Manager, Birmingham
- Change Manager, Birmingham
- Senior Rail Planning Engineer, Birmingham
Record Investment for Network Rail
With Control Period 5 coming to a close, many of the larger projects – such as Crossrail and the Edinburgh–Glasgow Improvement Programme – are in their final months. Control Period 6 is on the horizon for 2019, with a planned record expenditure of £47bn, and includes projects such as:
- Anglia: Lee Valley Rail Programme, Barking Riverside extension, Elizabeth Line and Thameslink
- London North Eastern and Midlands: Transpennine Route Upgrade, Midland Main Line upgrade between Beford, Kettering, and Corby, and East Coast Main Line power supply upgrades
- London North Western: HS2 and Northern Powerhouse Rail
- South East: Signalling replacement works, track renewals, bridge improvements
- Western: Bristol Temple Meads station roof renovation, track renewals, bridge maintenance, signalling improvements
Plans Afoot for Rail Projects
In the last few weeks, there have been new rail proposals launched, as well as the ongoing consultation regarding Crossrail 2. These proposed projects include:
- Bristol Airport mass transit system: a £2.5bn proposed project to improve surface transport to the city centre
- Midlands rail hub: the ‘Our Routes to Growth’ report outlines a proposed 20-year programme to maximise the Midlands’ rail network capacity
- Crossrail 2: still in the consultation and proposal stage, this project would improve rail connections in the South East
- East West Rail route: proposals to improve connections between East Anglia and central, southern and western England
Interested? Get in Touch
If you are looking for your next move within the rail sector, please get in touch. We can advise you on the latest projects that are looking for staff, as well as register your CV for our job alerts when a suitable vacancy arises.
About the author
Recruitment Consultant, UK
I am based from the Maxim Recruitment head office in Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire. I have over 4 years’ experience at Maxim, and specialise in the recruitment of delay, dispute, claims and expert witness staff into some of the best job opportunities available in the UK construction industry.
Latest Job Vacancies: https://www.maximrecruitment.com/quantum-delay-claims-and-dispute-jobs